Wednesday, November 5, 2014

She's Nothing If Not Unique!

Emma, CeCe, Araceli, Corinne, Elise, Annalea and Jenna
Like most kids, Araceli thinks about her birthday a lot.  All year, it's "I want to do _________ for my birthday."  This time when the birthday rolled around, the only thing on Araceli's wish list was going to the temple with Golda and Ruby.  I don't know where we get these kids.  They are so much better human beings than their parents.  Evolution?!

Ari and I decided to extend an invitation to all the Young Women.  As long as we were going to the temple anyway, we might as well take a group.  I put an invite on the YW facebook page and got zero response.  Never heard from a single parent.  Yet Ari told me that girls had said they were coming.  The night before, I felt nervous about the temple trip, worried that we would have too many girls to fit in the car, and concerned that we wouldn't be home in time for school.  I finally texted a bunch of moms and it turned out that yes, the girls were planning on going with us!  I said a prayer that everything would go smoothly, I was so worried about someone showing up that I didn't know about.  Final count the night before indicated that our car was full.  So full that we had to cut Golda and Ruby.  :)

As if I didn't know this...prayer works.  The morning felt sanctified and could not have gone better.  Jenna arrived at the house at 5:00 AM sharp, and we got in the car to pick up the others.  I had told them 5:15, but we were early. Still, they were all ready and waiting!  At the Bountiful Temple, things ran like clockwork.  Despite the place buzzing with youth, some already finishing up by the time we arrived at 5:45, the girls seemed to be expedited through the process of changing, confirmations, baptisms and then getting dressed.  They were quick in those dressing rooms!  No prima donnas here!
And after, with their hair wet, ready to tackle a day of school.  These girls are so pure and kind, it brings tears to my eyes.  My cousin David commented on Ari's friends at her party, saying he could see "virtue" in their faces, and not just those who are LDS.  The youth in our area are just wonderful people.  I love them.
Here she is, going on 13, but not until 1:57 PM.  In the car on the way home, I gave the girls pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and they burst out serenading Araceli with a boisterous rendition of Happy Birthday.  We had everyone home well in time for school.
 Whenever something happens that is fun, the kids are smart enough to immediately dub it "A tradition," thereby assuring that it will happen again.  Scott has been taking Araceli to Pepperbelly's for her birthday for as long as we can remember.
 I cannot believe how beautiful this girl is!
 I stopped by Pepperbelly's with Ptolemy and managed to pawn him off on Scott so he could enjoy lunch with his big sister, then go to kindergarten in Daddy's car.  Araceli was a good sport to let Ptolemy crash her party.
And while we're on the subject of parties, oh how we partied that night!  Since Araceli didn't want to have a party, I though it would be the perfect time for me to throw a surprise party.  One day, I casually ran the idea past Ari, just to verify that she wouldn't be upset if I did it.  She bolted up and said, "Yeah!!"  And then started planning how it would all go, that Araceli Sparkle in her eye.  It took me a minute, but I started to realize how fun it would be to plan a surprise party where Ari knew about it, and SHE surprised the guests.  We giggled, thinking how funny it would be to watch her friends struggle to keep it a secret.  She was merciless, asking friends if they wanted to hang out on her birthday because "She had nothing planned."  I was impressed; only one friend caved, on the day of the party.  It was totally Ari's fault.  She put on quite the pathetic act.
Freinds and family came over at 5:15 and we all waited for Scott to bring the birthday girl home from ballet.  I felt really guilty about lying to everyone when they parked their cars a block away and walked to our house.  I had Ellison and Micah stationed by the front door with silly string, ready to ambush Araceli.  They were super surprised when Ari burst through the front door pounding them with her own cans of silly string and yelling, "Surprise!"
And then...we partied!  On a weeknight, no less!  It was also Election Day, and I had the traditional chili ready to go with Marlene's delicious cornbread and a cascade of treats.
Elise, Ellison, Araceli
Emma, Corinne, Elise, Micah, Ari, Freestone, Elizabeth, Ellison, Gabby and Annalea.
I was thrilled to see David and Marilyn and their kids.  Ptolemy has been missing KK, William and Clark and Freestone immediately hit it off again with Peter.  Araceli and Grace get along great, and Ari is looking forward to seeing her again really soon.
I wish I had a full-length shot of this gorgeous, classy Parisian woman!
Marlene, Nikki, Jersey's famous evil eye, Lexie and Jennie.  I can't get over how blessed I am to have such incredible women in my kids' lives.
Bill hanging out with the tweens.  I didn't think the kids would be interested in chili, what with all the sugary treats I had, but they all gobbled it up and asked for more!  It was a good batch, I think.  Good thing I made two crock pots full.
My cousin David, Ryan and Scott.  Not only do my kids have brilliant women for examples, they also have the best men to look up to.
Lexie ended up helping Golda ask one of her friends to the Christmas dance.  It was a Layton kid whom Golda knew in junior high, as all the Davis boys have already been asked, it seems like!  Thanks for the help, Lexie!
Jackson and his friend.  Several people commented that Jackson was a real gentleman, introducing Tori to everyone and engaging them in conversation that included his friend.  It was so fun to have them there!  It was fun to have everyone there.  Araceli's sneaky plan worked out perfectly and gelled into a fun fall night.  When I came home later from running the girls to Nutcracker, the house smelled like apples and cinnamon and a lone candle was quietly burning, casting its yellow light over the cleaned-up room.  It was such a cozy feeling to have had friends and family fill our house, and to have the holidays at our doorstep.  I am so grateful for Araceli, the strong, sweet spirit she came with, and the joy and craziness she brings to our family.  This school year, Scott and I have both enjoyed driving her to orchestra and ballet, and getting to know her blossoming adult personality.  She is responsible and mature, yet extremely silly and playful.  In short, she is wonderful, and we love her so much.  Happy 13th, Araceli Circe!

5 comments:

The homestead said...

I love those kind of days! Happy birthday Ari!

Jennie said...

Thanks for including us! I hope her birthday was wonderful. PS: I love that pick of J & T at the end. He is smiling!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Evolution-lol! What a fun time and what amazing kids you have. I was so happy to see pictures of David and Marilyn too!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for including Elise in this. It was a remarkable way to start the day. I feel bad for being so unaware. I wish I'd known the scope of your invites, and that I had offered to come to the temple with you so there was space for G and R. YW Facebook page? Color me clueless. I still can't find it. :)

laurel said...

Happy birthday! Awesome day!