Tuesday, June 2, 2015

First Grade Oratory


 Friday was a very special day at Cushman School.  It was the first grade oratory.  Lincoln nailed his Shel Silverstein poem.  All the grandparents were very proud!
 Juan is funny!



 I love technology.  I had whatsapped the video to Sarah and Roland immediately and uploaded it to Youtube so they could have a good quality copy of it for later.

After the program, Ptolemy and I went to the park, where Ptolemy was the only kid there who wasn't with a nanny.  I noticed the nannies were extremely overprotective.  I can imagine why.  No employee wants a kid to get hurt on their watch!

We went back to Ms. Cheezious for lunch and then explored Little Haiti.  I have been drawn to Hatian culture since we started thinking about adoption.  We were originally going to go to Haiti, but felt like China was where we should go.  I still have a residual affinity for all things Haitian, though.  I read some articles and tried to research where the best places to go in Little Haiti are.  I didn't want to be bumbling around Miami; some neighborhoods aren't good.  We found some nice people and had a fun time.

 I could not for the life of me find this famous bakery that people recommended, so I asked a guy on the street for directions.  He not only explained it to me, but he offered to go with me.  Of course, I declined, so he gave me his phone number in case I had any problems with anything.  His name was B.  I texted him later to thank him for his help and he offered to be my security guard.  Lol.  He said, "Be safe out there and anything you need I'm here for you.  My phone is never off."  I had to laugh.  He's probably a drug dealer.  But a very, very nice one who would beat up anyone who messed with the white girl from Utah looking for the trendy bakery.

Ptolemy and I ate our bakery items in the Toussaint L'Ouverture Park, alongside a bunch of Creol-speaking retirees and a little boy who hadn't gone to school that day.  He and Ptolemy ended up hitting the jackpot with bottle caps!  Some of the older crowd got into helping the boys collect them.  See that lady in the three corn rows in the background of the picture?  She was so fancy.  She had those cornrows swirled around her forehead and pinned in a neat design.  Age wasn't going to stop her from looking her best!


Dinner was at a cool place called Dogma.  Ptolemy was amazed that he got his own drink.  That never happens at home.  It's water or nuthin'!  But Alex ordered for the kids, and they all got creme soda!  Ptolemy was in heaven!




They are so cute!

Saturday, the boys had decided that they wanted to go to a childrens museum in Fort Lauderdale.  We drove up, got there right before it opened, and nabbed the perfect parking spot with our handicapped pass.


I sent this pic to Sarah and said, "Just playing with fire.  All museum-sanctioned, of course."  The look on Lincoln's face is so funny!  Total captivation. He was actually spinning the garbage can to create a tornado.  The museum was cool, and we spent hours there.  On the way home, we were going to drive by the new Fort Lauderdale temple, but I took a wrong turn and the gps seemed confused, and it was still a half hour away, so we decided not to torture the kids.  Next time!
Lincoln's tooth fell out.
After a full day, the boys just wanted to stare at some screens.  We had an early day planned for Sunday, so Saturday night was relaxing.


No comments: