Monday, June 15, 2015

Summer School



The first day of summer, we started our summer reading plan.  I read the first 30 pages of the first DWK book to the kids and we all laughed our heads off.  Since then, we have gotten a lot of use out of books.  Fixing wobbly table legs, for example.  I just can't fit school into our schedule.  That's why school ended.  Because we didn't have time for it anymore.  We are too busy not doing school.  So now everyone just reads what they want when they want.  Freestone read the new Wonder book last week.  I just finished Eleanor and Park.  Loved it.  Ruby is reading a spoof of Martha Stewart which I can't wait to get my hands on.  Xanthe is rereading a ballet book and Ptolemy is on fire, reading every label and sign he can find.  In short, nobody misses school.  Sorry, school.  We have our own institute of higher education happening.
Swim team.
Drama camp
Photography 101
Know Your Beanie Boos, an upper division class taught by Ptolemy.
Advanced TV watching, with tips from Scott Dopp, such as "How to spot yourself and your in-laws on TV.  Just Josh and Emily pictured here at the Volcom championships in Hawaii in February.  We were right behind them with Coco and Bill!  Lots of screen time for my blue hair.
Swimming lessons.  Fail.
Greasy Spoons of the American West.  If only there were a class like that. right?!
And of course, family prayer.  Or a simulation of it, with a dozen gourmet cookies.  Sacrilegious?  It's not what it looks like!  Cookie worship is not part of our curriculum.  Yet.

What?  I still have 13 years of formal education ahead of me?
Ethics Class.  "Mom, I found this Barbie with a mermaid tail.  Put it in your bag, hurry!"  Hmm...
And of course we still have guitar, cello, piano and violin lessons, otherwise known as "Let's get a treat."  So yeah, summer school is in full swing.  Straight A's across the board.  Woot woot!

1 comment:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

I think this is hilarious! I think you all deserve a break!