Tuesday, June 2, 2015

It's a Keys Thing


After hearing about our adventures during the week, Alex and Lincoln chose to do the Keys for our Sunday adventure.  Of all things, they wanted to feed the iguanas in the Hampton Inn parking lot.  Like I said, who knew it would be a top tourist destination?  We thought if we left early in the morning, we could do everything in one day and make it back before the dogs got lonely.  But I told the kids we had to get up at 7, and leave right away, which we did.  Let me tell you, nobody in South Florida goes anywhere at 7 am Sunday morning on Memorial Day weekend.  We got to Key West in record time for our iguana adventure.




Armed with bananas, we lured our scaly friends out of their trees and hiding spots.  The iguanas are mesmerizing.  They are like miniature dinosaurs.  The boys named several of them.  Highlighter is the only one I can remember.  The best part of the Iguana Adventure is that it's free!  Except for the price of bananas.

Next up on our list of epic adventures, feeding the tarpons.  At about mile marker 78 (everything in the Keys is located by mile markers, ending at Mile 0 in Key West), you can buy a bucket of fish for $3 at a place called Robbie's Marina.

These fish are hilarious looking.  They are about 4 feet long, and they are well aware that tourists are buying buckets of fish to throw at them.  Look at their faces!  Don't they have character?
"Duuuh...is this where you get the dead fish?"
"What?!  People are throwing food at us!?"
This regal fish is now my lock screen.

I sent this pic to Sarah and said, "Is it mean that we see a resemblance between Betty Lou and this tarpon?"  Tee hee










The pelicans put on this bashful, pathetic act that makes you think it would be ok just to give the poor things just one fish.  But I saw a guy do it, and the pelican became aggressive, spreading his wings and chasing the guy.  It took several people to drive the pelican away.  So don't fall for their routine!

Robbie's Marina is super fun.  At every mile marker, there is something interesting, fun, kitschy or beautiful to do.  I think the Keys are so unique.  It doesn't really count as an epic adventure unless you go all the way, in my opinion.  I know I'm wrong, but that's just how it seems.  It was still so early in the day that we decided to go for it.  The kids were watching movies and whatnot, and the mile markers just sped by.  Soon, we were 90 miles away from Cuba and about 5 feet away from the end of the Untied States.  Mission accomplished!  We covered the Upper Keys, the Lower Keys and everything along the way.




 The line to take pictures next to the buoy was a block long, so we just di the next best thing.  That's why there are strangers in the background of all our shots.
 "Even this far south, brain freeze can be a problem."
 This is a classic.  Even though we didn't have time to go to the Ernest Hemingway home in Key West, I chose a quote by the man for this photo:  "Never go on trips with anyone you do not love."  Tricia loves her boys, that is never in question.  They are by far and away the most important thing in her life.  I hope they have good memories of our week of adventure.  I know I do.


Lunch at the boys' choice: Five Guys.  Not very Keys-y, but very good!  I prefer a good burger to Key Lime Pie anyway!



On the way back up to the Mainland, we visited the Turtle Hospital.  Briefly.  We had to beat the traffic.

It's difficult not to stop at every single roadside attraction.  I knew I wanted to buy a conch shell, and pulled over at this place.  In a wheelbarrow by the side of the road, I found one that spoke to me.  Now it's in my living room, bringing me good energy and happy memories.

My favorite shells. I always buy one or two at Bibby's in Imperial Beach.  Bibby says they are Haitian.  I grabbed a couple here, too.
The boys really wanted to feed the iguanas again on the way home.



I LOVE these shots of Alex.  To me, this was a precious moment.  Ironically, Alex decided that the second time feeding the iguanas "wasn't as magical."  Funny.  I don't know why.  Maybe because Ptolemy got bit. Ha ha.  He turned on me and cried, "You said they didn't have any teeth!"  Well...it looked like they didn't.  Oops.  My bad.   (He was FINE!  Don't panic.)
When we got home, the dogs were fine and it was still early enough that we went to the party store where everyone picked out a Beanie Boo.  Judging by the above photo, I think the day was a success.  They tried and failed to watch a movie.  Lol.





No comments: