Monday, June 1, 2015

Key Largo for Sarah's Birthday


Boys.  They are so funny!  How is it that poop never loses its appeal for humor?  Tuesday, the boys stay at school until 5:30 for soccer and study hall.  We figured we had time to go to the Keys.  Key LArgo really isn't that far from where the Bazails live.  Maybe an hour?  Initially, I had planned to stay overnight Saturday night in Ley Largo with Tricia and the boys, but we abandoned that idea because of the dogs.  Just for fun, we pulled into the hotel I had booked to see what it was like.  Surprise!!  The parking lot was FULL of iguanas.  Someone was feeding them bananas.  We happened to have some bananas, so we got in on the action.  These little critters were so curious and friendly.  And pretty, too!  I could have rounded up a whole bunch of them to sell as pets in Utah!
See how they're all over the parking lot?




Handsome devil, isn't he?  The iguanas were uber social until a tiny little chihuahua came out.  The iguanas scattered in an instant.  So funny!  Who knew the parking lot of the Hampton Inn in Key Largo would be the top travel destination of the trip?  Alex and Lincoln were dying to see the iguanas, which is why we chose the Keys as our weekend excursion later...
Traffic was good, we we kept going to Islamorada and beyond.
I was sending pictures to Scott, wishing he was there!

Tricia bought me this darling headband.  Please excuse my cleavage.  It was the sunglasses' fault.  Notice the beanie boo tucked under my arm.  Classy!
Kitsch it its very best!

Our destination was this restaurant that Tricia and I had been to with Ruby when we were there 2 years ago.  Wahoo's.  Delicious and you can't beat the ambiance.




"It's a keys thing."  Ptolemy enjoying the laid-back lifestyle of the Keys.



More vintage signage.  I like to send these pics to my friend Angela.  She is an artist and sometimes paints them.




This stop along the beach yielded oodles of bottlecaps for Ptolemy's collection.  I love this image.




A google search of "Top ten key lime pies in the keys" led us to this place.  Their crust is regular pie crust instead of graham cracker, which was so much better.  Generally, key lime pie is way to sweet and way too not chocolate for my taste.  But this one was perfect!




It was Sarah's birthday, so while she and Roland were celebrating on their Mediterranean cruise, we sang and blew out candles on a tiramisu.  Alex was the party master!  Happy birthday, Sarah!




I love these boys, and I am so thankful for the time I got to spend with them.  They are wonderful boys.  Being their godmother gives me a special connection to them, one that I don't have with any other people in the whole world.  They are special, and I love them very much.



2 comments:

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Yeah! How fun! I love the Keys! Makes me miss Florida so much! I'm so glad you had a great time!

michelle said...

I'm so glad it was such a great trip! But those iguanas are freaking Brittany and I out! We are going to have nightmares about them! Yikes!