Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chicken Roll-Ups


Who can't use an easy recipe for something everybody craves? Especially this time of year. Here's mine:

Put a couple pounds of chicken breast in the crock pot in the AM with a dash of oil and 3 or 4 tbsp of ranch dressing.

Later, when the chicken is cooked, shred it with a fork, add a block of cream cheese and maybe some diced mushrooms, cover and turn off the crock pot.

Later, (can you tell I have a short attention span?) stir the chicken mixture and spread about a teaspoon of it on each triangle of Pillsbury Crescent roll dough. It makes about 5 packages worth (40 rolls). Melt a cube of butter in a bowl and pour bread crumbs in another bowl. Do this part as quick and sloppy as you can, because it doesn't matter! You can even skip the bread crumbs and butter. Dip in butter, roll in crumbs, set on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until the rolls look golden.

When I make chicken roll-ups, my kids say, "Finally! A good meal!" I guess it is better than apples and cheese or cold cereal. Only chicken roll-ups and General Tso's chicken from the freezer at Sam's Club constitute good meals at our house. The rest of the time, they're just grateful for sustenance.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

A good meal? I feel my kids should be lucky just to have me cook at all. For example, last night it was BK on the way home from the Dentist. I was supposed to be celebrating everyone's no cavities. But to me... it was a reason I didn't have to cook dinner. :)

Sarah Smiles said...

I love chicken roll-ups!

Anonymous said...

They look yummy! I do something similar with crescent rolls and left-over turkey from Thanksgiving:) See you tomorrow.

Michelle said...

I love those! I think I am going to make your taco soup again tomorrow though...

SSWS said...

Sounds good! 40 rolls and a couple pounds of chicken...wow, no wonder you only cook once in a while! I have a friend who uses Ritz Crackers instead of bread crumbs....great recipe...what is not to like? Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

Yummy! And I love your way to cook chicken---with oil in a crock pot! Brilliant. I am making it this week. Thanks.