Monday, December 1, 2008

My B. M. F.*











*Big Mormon Family
These are the people I chose when I married Scott. Man, did I get lucky when I married into the Dopp family. I love each one of my in-laws. I love them individually and collectively; they're great one on one and as a package deal. Tonight was our first annual adult Christmas party. It was eerily quiet as we ate our Chinese food with no kids clamoring for special orders! The opportunity to talk to all the grown-ups in relative calm was really fun. The gift exchange turned out perfect; people liked my gift of a cabin-themed Christmas tree, and I scored a battery-powered screwdriver and air pump. I'm sure the kids will need the pump as soon as tomorrow. Now I don't have to give away bikes when they get flat tires.:) Thanks, Ryan


And here are some people that I didn't choose: My side of the family. Even though I didn't choose them, I'm so glad we ended up together. My cousin Sarah and her husband, Roland, blessed their baby on Saturday. As the Godfather, Scott had the honor of performing the blessing. Roland's family flew in from all over the country, so it was a very special day. The boys, Alex and Lincoln, have a special place in our hearts and we love them.

So, as if Thanksgiving wasn't enough to make me reflect on what I'm truly thankful for, we got to celebrate the baby blessing and start Christmas a little early, all in one long weekend. I have lived away from family alone and with Scott, and while it was formative and exciting and good for me and I loved it, I was often lonely. Whenever I'm surrounded by family, in a warm room bright with conversation, I never take for granted the privilege of being home.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Circe, I'm glad you got a picture. Your gift was awesome and quite sought after. Well done! I felt bad you ended up with the tools. Ryan will trade you if you want a grill. :)

Sarah Smiles said...

How lovely! :)

Michelle said...

Looks like loads of fun! I now appreciate my family a little more too having been away. Here is my question, does your family assume now that they will be showing up on the blog when you photo them? I always wonder about mine!

Paige said...

Crazy people revel in their BMF. Is the Godfather thing a tradition? Because I'm going to adopt it.

Marilyn said...

I just read about your "Party of Eight"! We are sure familiar with that "someone is missing" feeling!! What a special person that gets to join your family. I love reading about your adventures and feel close to you. Congratulations. Love, Marilyn

Sarah Barber-Bazail said...

That's sweet! I couldn't ask for a better cousin, although you are like a sister to me. I am very thankful for my family, even if they do like coke-nog!!LOL