Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Conversations With a Spicy Beast


Mom: Here is your hot dog.
Xanthe: I don't like hot dogs.
Mom: OK. I'll give it to Ruby.
X: I like hot dogs.

Mom: Are you finished with your cereal?
X: Yes. I don't LIKE it!
Mom: puts the bowl in the sink
X: I want my cereal!
Mom: It's gone. sorry
X: cries for 20 minutes.

Mom: In the car. Let me hear your cute song.
X: NO! I hate singing. I hate you.
Mom: OK, don't sing.
X: YES! I want to sing.
Mom: OK, you can sing.
X: No!
Mom: OK.
X: Yes! I can sing! I want to sing! Twinkle Twinkle! The Farmer in the Dell! Waaaaaa!

It's so confusing trying to be defiant when your mom doesn't care whether you sing or not. Please tell me the extreme defiance is normal. Xanthe seems to HAVE to say no to everything. Do you want a popsicle? NO!! Then, after I put them away, she asks for one. Is this kid playing me?? Help!!

9 comments:

Circe said...

yep, that sounds like the spicey beast, contrary and lots of attitude!
-golda :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like things need to be HER idea. Sometimes turning a yes/no question into an a or b can help. "Do you want the red or yellow popsicle?" Then again, it might just increase the colorful ways she says no. Hoo-boy.

Love the way you handled the "I hate singing. I hate you" bit with such aplomb. Those three little words might have sent me sobbing, and I'm not even coursing with pregnancy hormones. You're doing great!

Emily said...

that picture is hilarious...
as for advice, your the one i go to for advice so sorry i am no help! if you need a break from all the mind changing after the baby is here, please send her over! but make sure it was her idea.....

Elisa said...

I have a child just like that! It used to drive me insane... but then I realized it was a quality that would be a blessing in her life when she was older.

No one will ever be able to guilt her or persuade her into doing something she doesn't want to do.

Its a pain when they are younger, but I am hoping and praying a gift from God when they are teenagers.

If not, I'm joining a traveling circus.

The homestead said...

I've had a couple of very difficult kids go through very difficult stages where I really didn't like being around them let alone their mom. I have learned to just hang in there and give lots of love. As soon as they grow out of this very difficult stage, another kid will act up. That's parenthood. So excited for you tomorrow. We can't wait to see your family at Cooke.

SSWS said...

Love the photo! She sounds like me...I have such a hard time making a decision! Great handling of the situation.

Lexie said...

Thank goodness! Now i know that Izzy isn't the only one who dose that 24-7!!!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

Ha Ha Ha! "I like hot dogs." What a funny girl. four year olds can be ornery. and so so funny. J.W. told Libby, "You need to follow directions" She said, "Yeah--- I'm more of a leader". Honestly. It can tucker you right out.

love.boxes said...

Our Jakers acted just like that for about a year... you'll be glad to hear that now he is Rabbi Jake. He has calmed down to the point that the only thing he really insists on is saying all the prayers... which is OK. He prays short. :)