Thursday, July 16, 2009

Extreme Nesting


All parents have the nesting instinct, whether human or bird or other animal. Some mothers' impulses result in useful tasks like freezing casseroles and making baby blankets. I feel an overwhelming urge to repeatedly wash our pool towels and hang them out to dry so that they smell like chlorine and Downy. It is so comforting to see all the towels hung out, and to inhale the clean smell on a hot day.

My nesting instinct also manifests itself as a crazed push to do as many activities as possible with the kids before the baby is born. (Scott would argue that's my normal M.O.) Yesterday, we went to Lagoon, school shopped at Target and hung out at the pool. Then Scott took the kids to a movie. After I waved goodbye, the nesting thing took hold in a more useful way. (I didn't freeze casseroles. I have David's Pizza on speed dial.) The cleaning ladies had been here, and I started where they left off, putting away every last sock, vacuuming, folding, finally doing something with all that stuff piled up on the kitchen desk. I straigtened every bedroom, picked flowers for the table, swept the garage. I set up PT's cute bassinet that my sisters-in-law gave me. The whole house was looking satisfactory before I left to see 17 Again with my friends at 9:30. (My last chance to see a movie!) On my way, I saw Scott and the kids driving home with a big bag of popcorn from their movie. I almost turned around to follow them and confiscate the popcorn so it wouldn't spill and ruin the rare tableau that is our house at a spotless moment.

So...the nest is feathered. I have muscles I can't move today, but I'm pretty sure they're not the same ones I'll need to give birth. My job now is to keep the kids out of the house, thus maintaining popcorn-free domestic nirvana. It looks like I'll have to grab my nice, fresh towels and take the kids swimming. They can spill stuff there, and I can sit in the shade and read. I HAVE to finish my book before the baby comes!

10 comments:

The homestead said...

good luck tomorrow. I cam so impressed at your nesting skills. Sounds so much more fun than making casseroles anyway.

laurel said...

Good luck tomorrow!! We will be thinking about you. So glad we got to see you. You are the cutest pregnant lady I have ever seen.

Amanda said...

Wow! It probably takes me a week to accomplish what you do in ONE day! And I'm not 9 months pregnant!

Jennie said...

I can't believe it. The day is almost here. We are so excited. I can't wait to hog him! :) I'll try and share. Call and give me the full run down and times and such and where you need us to be to tag team with the kiddos. Also let us know if you want Ryan to come over to help Scott give you a blessing. We love you all so much!

love.boxes said...

I can't believe what you have been able to accomplish this summer! I am so sorry that I missed you all last night.. I wanted to be there so much, but I pushed it with baby l a little too hard this week and she had a melt down on me and Craig had to work. Good luck tomorrow! I can't wait to hear that it all is so wonderful and that you have met your new little friend!

Anonymous said...

Whew, it makes me tired to read your post. Your are super woman:) Hey, we were at Lagoon yesterday as well....funny we didn't see you hanging out in Kiddie Land. Good luck tomorrow!

Susie said...

Good luck with the new baby. I'm sure everything will be great especially because you seem to be an extra special mother bird who has feathered her nest to a fine detail.

Taylor Family said...

Good luck tomorrow. Sorry we were playing phone tag all day. I am so excited to see the new little Dopp. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need anything.

SSWS said...

you crack me up!! I'm thinking of you today!
good luck! Keep us posted.

Michelle said...

Good luck today! I will be thinking about you!