Friday, July 3, 2009

A Room of One's Own




Ruby, Freestone and Araceli have moved into their new rooms. Xanthe now has the big loft room all to herself, Golda has company in the basement and Araceli is preparing to welcome her new roommate, Breech Boy. Freestone wanted a puppy theme for his new room. Much to Scott's consternation, I found a complete puppy room on ksl.com, with bedding, three framed pictures of puppies and a whole bunch of large and small stuffed dogs. Freestone loves it. Scott, uh, loves it too. It's so sophisticated and cool! :) The best thing about Free's new room is that Scott complied with Jakey and Freestone's request to put the bed in front of the space between the two closets, thus creating a hideout. There's room to squeeze into the hideout behind the bed. Awesome!










Ruby has had this vision for her bedroom for a couple of years. She has patiently shared a room with every kid in the family, most recently Freestone. Ruby and Free created quite a bond sharing their small room, so Free is glad they are still right next door to each other with a connecting door between them, in case he gets lonely. Anyway, this is Ruby's vision. She chose the colors for the stripes and positioned them on the wall exactly where she wanted them. She chose the bedspread and accessorized with the lime green white board and big pink pillow. She is easy to shop with; she knows exactly what she wants. The minute the carpet was in, we HAD to move the furniture in and get everything set immediately so Scott would be surprised when he got home. I knew Scott wouldn't go for the puppies in Free's room unless it was all set up, plus we were too excited to wait. Once the beds were in, I hung up puppy pictures while Coco took Ruby to the fabric store and picked out materials for a green microfleece pillow and an orange one with buttons in her colors. The pillows weren't quite ready for the big reveal, but they were made and ready to go on Ruby's bed when we got home today. It's fun to have a magic fairy who loves projects! :) Coco wasn't the only one working while the kids and I played today. Scott stayed home from our jaunt to Park City to finish painting and putting together Ari's new room and rearranging Xanthe's. (Stay tuned for pictures.) Everything looks better when someone else does all the work. Thanks, Scott!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Your kids have serious style! I love the dog conspiracy! It looks so fun! And Miss Ruby must love rainbow sherbert because that is just what her walls remind me off. It is so sophisticated and pretty! Can hardly wait to see the rest!

Jennie said...

So cute you guys! I love your new rooms. Finished basements are THE best!

Amanda said...

Your basement looks awesome! And I love the kids' rooms! I think it's a great idea to let kids decorate their own rooms. It gives them experience in experimenting so they don't end up like a decorating idiot like me! I hope I'm gutsy enough to try it one day once my kids are all in their appropriate rooms! You're such a great mom!

The homestead said...

How fun to see your kids new rooms. I love that you let them help decorate. They look great.

love.boxes said...

Oh RUBES!!! It's sooooooooo you! I love it! I love it! I love it! When you don't love it anymore.. let me know and I'll move in! It's bright and cheerful and marvelous!