Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Take Your Ptolemy to Work Day





It's a nationwide holiday. You didn't know? It's called Take Your Ptolemy to Work Day, and everyone who has a son named Ptolemy gets to take him to work and show him the ropes. Scott left this morning with a full and drowsy baby in his carseat and a bouncer seat to put him in on the desk. Scott gets so lonely at the office with no tiny face to gaze at and no cute noises in the background, he had to come up with a plan. With all the kids constantly clamoring for a turn to hold the baby, I think kidnapping the babe was the only way Scott was going to get his turn. Plus, he wanted to show off his son. When Golda was a baby, Scott bought her a little purple beret and denim dress. At restaurants, he would hold her above his head like she was a miniature conquering hero. If someone in the crowd didn't ooh and ahh, he was genuinely offended. When I told Ruby Daddy had taken Ptolemy to the office, she said, "He hasn't changed since Golda was a baby." Indeed he hasn't, which I love. It's fun to be married to the proudest papa on the planet.

While Daddy worked, Ptoly brushed up on his Utah code and visited Bill. Bill likes the idea of a fourth generation of attorneys at the firm. He repeated his mantra to Ptolemy, the one that worked on only 33% of his own kids (and Scott!), "You can do anything you want in life...after law school." It might be awhile before Ptolemy goes to law school, and Ruby might beat him to it, but at least he has a head start. If he hadn't had to come home to be nursed and have his diaper changed, he might have been the world's youngest lawyer. Maybe after naps.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great holiday! Scott is certainly a proud papa and he has every right to be. Your kids are awesome.

I love the blanket with the Dick and Jane print. Very cute!

I also need to reserve my Ptoly time. I haven't yet had a chance to hog him. :) I guess it is time for a family party. Friday I call first dibs. :)

I hope your recovery is speedy and I'll bring the kiddos home around 5-5:30.

Michelle said...

This just may be one of your cutest ever posts! Scott is such a fun dad, William would be terrified to take off with a newborn on his own! I love the Dick and Jane print too!

Taylor Family said...

When is it take Ptoly to aunt nikki's day.

Anonymous said...

Adorable!

SarahSmiles

Jennifer said...

So sweet. My husband was already disenchanted by my second pregnancy. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

I love that Ptolemy's daddy took him to work! He is so beautiful:) Your kids are very luck to have you for parents. I'll call you next week about Tuesday for Xanthe.

Jenny said...

Pretty dang cute Scotty!

Congrats,

Jer

laurel said...

That is the sweetest thing ever. I don't think my hubby would have ever thought of that!