Saturday, December 5, 2009

Araceli's Beautiful Day





Our community suffered a terrible tragedy this week, with the death of a 16-year-old girl in a car accident. Her funeral was scheduled at the church for today, and Araceli's baptism was moved from 3:30 to eight o'clock in the morning. Some of life's most pivotal moments come with no warning, and death can certainly be one of them. We had just a day to make new arrangements for combining Ari's baptism with her friend Elise's, and to modify our day to fit a special early-morning baptism. We were happy to do it, and went about the changes with the Vigil family in our hearts, aching for their loss and thankful to be planning a baptism instead of a funeral. As I talked with Elise's mom, my good friend Jennifer, our baptism program fell into place and all the complications that had arisen for both of us slipped away. When I told Araceli of the changes, she said, "Yessss!" She was so happy to share the experience with Elise. I found myself grateful for the hushed spirit that I felt at that early hour, surrounded by love and the solemn gratitude that nearby tragedy brings. I will never be able to separate Araceli's baptism from our neighbor's loss. I will always remember all the tender mercies I experienced as I planned for the new time. I will remember how helpful Jennifer was, and how accommodating our families were. Most of all, I will remember how very real Heavenly Father's plan has felt the past few days, with the juxtaposition of Ari's baptism and the sudden death of a young and vibrant girl. Nothing else could have focused my attention so fully on the spiritual nature of this day. We celebrate a small step today in Araceli's eternal progression, as our neighbors grapple with a much bigger step for their daughter. I am grateful, so grateful for this beautiful day, and for my daughter.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing the day with us.

Your eloquence touched me -- all of the sentiments in my heart, but which still didn't come out after my lengthy blubbering.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Ari! She is beautiful. This was a very touching post...you never know what may happen in life. May God bless that family.

Jennie said...

I'm glad everything worked out so beautifully. I thought the snow was a perfect fit for the day - clean, new, dressed in white, and perfectly beautiful - just like Ari! Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Michelle said...

Tears in my eyes Circ. So lovely, such great perspective. I am so glad you had such a lovely day. Last night was soooo fun!

sws said...

We will always remember the special day. We love Ari as another daughter. Thank you for including us.