Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Still...


Scott reported to me that Freestone pinched his finger in a book and then said, "For hell sakes! Why did I do that?" When Scott asked him where he heard language like that, Free happily informed on his mom. Scott told him, "We shouldn't say that." Freestone said, as if he were on the verge of a great discovery, "Why? Is it the "F" word?"

I made a note to myself: help Freestone with his spelling. The other day, Free said almost wistfully, "I believe in Santa Claus...still." That last, lingering word made my heart stop for a second. That one word said so much. "Still..."

Now, while I still have a wide-eyed little boy who copies his mom, is the time to make gingerbread. Freestone calls it his recipe, the one he chose out of a cookie book a couple of years ago. With this batch, he made candy canes, snowmen, tennis racquets and jack-o-lanterns. Hey, who am I to say what is appropriate for Christmas?

Soon, according to Freestone, they'll have flying shoes so he can get places fast. But they won't have my size because I'm a grown-up. Already, I feel like he's flying and I'm standing still, watching him go. It's OK, because I like where he's going. And I know he'll always come back for those festive gingerbread tennis racquets.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

See this is why I just love you. You are not afraid to let us know you are imperfect, like the rest of us. And you have such great perspective on kids. I usually only find that when they are asleep.

The homestead said...

Now we know you don't use the "f" word Circe. And "Hell" is not a swear word, it is a location.

Jennie said...

I'm so glad he likes gingerbread. It is a must for the season. Collin discovered it this year and as with so many other things... "it isn't his favorite."

Anonymous said...

You're so right. The time when they are young is a gift. You make memories with your children!

laurel said...

I am so laughing! You have to teach him to spell....ha ha ha ha! I am the guilty one at our house too. I was thinking about that the other day, how time is going to fast. I hate to have them grow too.