Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Baby Brothers


Seeing my own girls' devotion to their little brothers helps me understand why I love my brothers so much. If I'm anything like Golda, Ruby, Araceli and Xanthe, I have loved my brothers from the moment they came home from the hospital, all tiny and wrinkly. I remember reading to Joshua and getting stuck in the mud with Trajan. Our favorite game was Don't Touch the Floor, in which the challenge was to travel the perimeter of Trajan's room without touching the carpet. (i.e. walking on the dressers, climbing to the bunk beds, lunging for the rocking chair, etc.)

We had a grand old childhood together, but even better is that my brothers are still around to set an example for me and help me along. Tonight we had dinner to celebrate their birthdays. I was going to get a picture of the two boys together, but by the time Josh got there, Trajan was picking up Ruby from ballet, and by the time he got back, I had gone to teach, and when I got back, Josh had left to put cranky Abram to bed. We might not all three be in the same place too often, but thank heavens our paths intersect at so many points. I don't know what I'd do without my brothers and Emily, Esmae and Abe. Happy birthday, Trajan (now) and Happy Birthday, Josh (in 30 minutes).

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hear, hear for little brothers!

Anonymous said...

Brothers are great...so are sisters. So glad your children have both:)

Trajan said...

I made the blog! I MADE THE BLOG! I did something blog worthy!

Thanks for making a post all about Josh and me. Don't touch the floor was a great game. So much drama, excitement and danger all in one game.

laurel said...

HOw fun!!! I only have a big brother. I think a little one would be great. Have a Merry Christmas.

Michelle said...

Hope they both had a great day, and Trajan made me laugh!