Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Notes on a Recital








I had a ballet class to teach and I was going to send the kids with Scott to their recital. After all, I hear these pieces daily. I'm so glad I changed my mind and went to the recital instead of my class. I would have missed so much, beyond the music. The look of concentration on Araceli's face, and her royal princess attire. Freestone getting stuck in his hat. Little Neeley coming with Grandma to see her cousins. The camaraderie among families and between the kids. Golda sang Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire and played LeRoy Anderson's Sleigh Ride on her flute. Both were very polished and a delight to listen to. Ruby played Nonesuch on the guitar, and it was flawlessly beautiful. Araceli played March in D by Bach. She got mixed up and skipped the whole middle of the song, so I took the liberty of suggesting she start over. She was fabulous! We were lucky to have an extremely talented and prepared accompanist, Jennifer. Thank you! (With five kids you prepared all of that!?!)

I love it when the kids do their practicing. It doesn't always sound good, but it's music to my ears anyway. I make them practice every. single. day. I think I do it more for me than anything. I just love it, and I know it will bring them happiness. Like Nietzsche said, "Life without music would be a mistake." That's one mistake I'm trying to avoid.

6 comments:

The Brown Family said...

We've been in a practicing rut. It's too easy to get busy and put it off until mom is too tired to supervise...even from the kitchen.

Thanks for the reminder!

Kim

Jennie said...

We're so sorry we missed it. We would have loved to hear everyone. We insist on an encore on Christmas Eve.

Jennifer said...

I wish I'd been able to channel Ari's serenity as she performed. Her sweet smile was amazing.

laurel said...

Wow. You guys are amazing. Your kids look so professional.

Michelle said...

I think you have got that one covered. I wish I was as good at this one!

Emily said...

The kids look so cute, I can't wait to see where they will all be in another 5 years! It's so exciting to watch.