Thursday, May 20, 2010

Adrenaline


Summer. I have to admit, I'm terrified. But, just like waiting for a roller coaster, the closer you get to the front of the line, the more exhilaration you start to feel. So now, instead of being terrified in a bad way, I'm terrified in a good way. I'm about to go on a ride that is going to turn my stomach upside-down. It will be intense and I won't be able to catch my breath until the ride comes to a complete stop around the end of August. But the ride will be so awesome that I know I'll want to get right back in line when it's over. I know that. So it's time to embrace the inevitable.

Plus, I am SO OVER school! Freestone has to read 400 minutes a month for his reading calendar. I challenged him to get his minutes as quickly as possible this month, before all the other kids, so we could turn the dang thing in and be done with it! He was reading over an hour a night and painstakingly adding up the minutes. He proudly took his calendar to school Monday with 400 minutes completed, and it was only the middle of the month! He was amazing! Did his teacher praise his accomplishment? No. She said he has to read every day in May and told him to take the calendar home and keep working on it. ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!? So I sent a note to school with his nightly "baggie book" saying, "Please don't send any more baggie books home. Freestone is going into Baggie Book Retirement. He wants to get out while he's at the top of his game. Thanks!" If I make it to the end of this school year without getting into a fistfight with somebody, I am going to call it a victory.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am thinking we find that teacher's care and TP it. I started my summer list of fun today. I have never actually made alist before, I will share it when its done! Thanks for the post-I really needed that smile!

Marilyn said...

OH, I love it! You really had me laughing. I would have boycotted the "baggies books" too! I have some fun summer ideas from a few years ago--I'll e-mail them to you--that is if I can find them. HAPPY SUMMER!