Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Conundrum

Freestone's mind is always coming up with "What if" scenarios.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Mom, what uff..."  He has been posing impossible questions since the time he learned to string words together.  His latest:

"What if I had to decide who to kill, Mama or Daddy?  It would take me my whole life to decide.  If I killed Mama, we would be late for everything.  If I killed Daddy, well, that would just be sad."

I guess the question is, would you rather be on time and sad or late and generally pretty happy?  Freestone's conundrum lays bare the roles Scott and I fill in our family.  I guess I'm the organizer and Scott is the fun.  Hmm.  Since I'm "no fun," I told Freestone today to turn off his DS and go use his imagination.  After a couple of hours on the slip n slide, he came to me and said, "Mom, we're playing a game.  In the game, let's say you have always wanted to adopt a boy and two girls.  Since you've always wanted to adopt a boy, you already have a DS.  I'll be the boy and you give me the DS."  Now that's using your imagination and your smarts.  It also reassures me that, if it comes to it, I can pretty easily talk Freestone out of patricide by offering him more video game time. Comforting, eh?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my, that Freestone!

Queen Elizabeth said...

That is hilarious. You do good work, Circe. Keep it up.

The homestead said...

love it. P.S. I think you're fun.