Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Fifth

Ruby is ready to finish up fifth grade and take her place as the Queen of the School as a 6th grader next year.  Actually, she's ready to ditch this cow town and start studying guitar at UCLA immediately.  I have no doubt that she could live on her own in L.A. and do just fine in college, since she's essentially been an adult since birth.  But first, she has to finish a book report.  And elementary school.

Ruby's 4th term reading goal has taken a back seat to everything else lately.  She was blogging one night and Uncle Traj asked her which was more important, homework or blogging.  She said, "I don't have any 'followers' of my homework."   (Yes, she used air quotes.) So suddenly it's the end of the school year and two more books have to be finished up, now!  I was following her around this morning, reading out of The Family Under the Bridge while Ruby got ready.  She dashed off to school as I shouted the last page up the street.  I checked Ruby out at lunchtime to write her last book report.  With hours to go in the school year, Ruby finally has her 800 pages.  Can you say helicopter parent?  I don't care.  She'll thank me for teaching her to follow through when she's singing and playing guitar on the Santa Monica Pier to pay her rent in L.A.  It might come to that.  Music gigs are hard to get when you're eleven.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you are both fabulous!

Jennie said...

Circ, I love your posts. Seriously. When is the novel coming - not that you aren't busy or anything with play practice, lessons, practicing, SIX kids and taking care of me and my family. :)

Way to go Rubes. You have a great mom and we think you are pretty great yourself.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ruby on your accomplishment of finishng the reading!...and the 5th grade!...With the help of a great mom!!...You both should win an award, Ruby for finishng the pages and Circe for how you juggle all that you do and everyone comes out on top and winners!..in school, dance, plays, baseball, soccer! and lessons!..and everyone on all different kinds of instruments. Congrats to Golda, Ruby, Ari, Freestone, Xanthe and Ptoly who graduated, I am sure even Ptoly graduated from something!...now enjoy the lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer and relax (after plays and dance recitals!.) Ruby, keep up that dream of going to UCLA and living there, that is awesome..that is where Roland graduated from...don't let go of the dream. You can do it!...Circe, reading brings back when Sarah, you, Traj and Josh were in school and the projects...wasn't that just yesterday????!!!...Have a wonderful summer and enjoy.. Love Great Aunt Tricia XOXO

laurel said...

Great! I loved every bit of it.