Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good Friend in a Small Package

Araceli decided that she and I should go to the "Ranch" in Park City to celebrate the end of second grade.  When Ari decides something is going to happen, it usually does.  Especially when it's a fabulous idea like a mini trip!  Ari and I and our little sidekick, Ptolemy, drove up Saturday afternoon and hit some major deals at the outlets before dining and snuggling up at the condo.  On the way up the canyon, we talked about school, recess, and 8-year-old stuff.  I heard lots of stories that started with, "There's this kid in my class who..."  (The kid version of Once Upon a Time.)  Then it was quiet.  I was thinking maybe we should have brought Freestone when Ari said, "Mom?  I'm a little lonely."   Later she said, "Mom, for some reason I feel like crying.  Can I call Freestone?"  I thought her acute case of loneliness was sweet.  She felt better after checking in with Freestone.

 Araceli is such a fun little girl.  She has grown a lot this school year, physically, mentally and emotionally.  The emotional part has been a fair amount of work.  The intense metamorphosis from child to adolescent is hard.  Butterflies have to fight their way out of the cocoon to build strength, and that is akin to what Araceli has been doing this year.  During our trip, I told Ari all my second grade stories.  I had a horrible teacher and a terrifying year that year.  As I told her about it, I realized second grade is a hard, transitional age.  When I was in second grade, we had to earn coins each week.  If we had enough by Friday, we could buy our way into a popcorn party.  I was very shy and I must have been a lazy student, because I never earned enough coins to attend the party.  Those of us who didn't qualify had to sit in our desks doing work during the popcorn party, which took place at the back of the classroom.  We weren't allowed to turn around in our desks to see the kids at the party.  We had to sit there working, smelling the buttery smell and listening to the popcorn jumping up out of the air popper.  I can relate to feeling lonely.  One of the loneliest and most humiliating experiences of second grade was when I had to sit under a 4-foot-high dunce cap in front of the whole class for fifteen minutes.  It was made of green butcher paper and was so big, it came down to my chin.  I remember the tears splashing our from under the dunce cap onto my pants as the class laughed at me.  The big, green, cone-shaped hat actually said "DUNCE."  That is a true story.  And don't even get me started on the sadistic game "Red Rover," which our teacher loved to make us play.  I was always chosen first to try to break through, because I never could, and kids always targeted me to run at, because I could never hang on and stop them.  My arms were always bruised and aching.

Thankfully, Araceli's second grade year was nothing like mine.  Her teacher is a wonderful, kind and compassionate woman and Araceli excelled in her class.  I am glad I had a miserable second grade year because I know what kids feel like when they are bullied by peers and teachers.  I can help my kids be on the lookout for children around them who are hurting.  In Park City, Ari and I saw a bunch of youngish teenage girls eating at Panda.  One of them, a cute girl, went into the bathroom.  Her friends, laughing, jumped up and ditched her, saying, "Hurry!  Let's leave her!"  When the girl came out of the bathroom and her table was empty, she was so sad and embarrassed.  Ari witnessed the whole thing and was upset and concerned.    We had a chance to talk about being a good friend and including everybody.  Ari has a loving nature, and I hope she grows into the kind of person who is a good friend to everyone.  She was a good friend to me this weekend, instigating a fun little getaway and being a nice little companion.  Thanks, Ari!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great memory you guys made-definitely combats the awful 2nd grade ones you had! Ari is such a cute girl and she is looking so grownup in your pictures!

Jennie said...

I'm so glad Ari has had a great year. I can see the changes happening in her. She is a thinker. I sometimes wonder at all that is going on in her pretty little head.

BTW, cute cemetery pics!

Jennifer said...

Oh, your 2nd grade teacher makes me want to crumble up a big piece of green butcher paper into a ball and throw it at her. (Hmm, with something ... hard ... inside?)

It takes a very special person to voice gratitude for such an experience, to grow empathetic instead of bitter. I'd be surprised at anything less from you. Thanks for your example.

Anonymous said...

What!!!...a terrible second grade memory!...JB said the teacher should be hung up by her thumbs! for such inappropriate behavior and I agree!!...what example did she set!..none!...I am so sorry for the terrible memory..I am so glad Ari has had a successful year and thank goodness for a wonderful teacher..I have seen changes in her this year also and have enjoyed our two little outings together. Wonderful writing Circe, the ones about your trip with Ari, the cemetery and the tribute to "Bill"..what a wonderful picture of you, Bill and Golda. I could not even write after seeing the picture little alone after reading it. You put it all into beautiful words and I thank you for that blog..it soooo warmed my heart and you captured it beautifully about Bill, our memories, and the passing of our loved ones. I believe Bill knew as I recall certain events of that fall and spring, like him taking us to Newport Beach, extending it a few more days and then in Las Vegas extending it longer, like he did not want that trip to end!!...He loved all of you children so much just as Big Golda did, they are always with you in spirit and memory. Thank goodness for memories...Keep up the great blogs!..I will keep up with them after I leave for Florida..Love you, Tricia XOXO

Anonymous said...

Your second grade teacher sounds like someone who should not have been allowed to work with children. What memories she made
:( The girls ditching their friend at Panda makes me so sad...why do they do that to each other?