Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Sound of Music!

Two weeks ago, I was chanting this mantra:  "I will never let my kids do another play.  I will never let my kids do another play." Now I'm thinking maybe we could do this again.  It's a rush.

The Sound of Music turned out to be a fantastic production.  Golda and Ruby made new friends and hung out with old ones, and they really grew in their abilities.  They worked hard.  The director's note on the back of the program said, "...some of our cast members have surmounted medical problems and genuine tragedies to be on this stage and perform for you tonight."  I truly admire and love so many of the people involved in the play.  The cast is like a family, Golda says, and they hated to say goodbye.  Dairy Queen finally started sweeping up around the kids at the after-party last night, and they had to say "adieu." (To you and you and you!  The music is still going around my head.)

Speaking of abilities, Scott was incredible as Admiral Von Schreiburg of the Third Reich.  You should have seen him deliver those lines!  Actually, many of you did see him.  Friday night, the audience was filled with Dopps and those whom Michelle F. calls "honorary Dopps."  Thanks, Michelle!  I have to give a big thanks to Bruce and Marlene, Michelle and Jake, Jennie and Ryan and the kids, Jenny and Jeremy and their girls, Jeff and his boys, Nikki and Clint and their boys, including the one that is giving Nikki contractions every five minutes, Coco and Bill, Uncle Trajan, Aunt Tricia and Michelle and her crew, among other who probably weren't there just for us, but that we like to claim as our fans!  (Clytie, Sarah, neighbors, friends...) The girls' superb voice teacher Rebecca came and brought flowers and praises for her students. 


I got a little teary-eyed during Edelweiss, when the actors motioned for the audience to join in the song.  I love the story and the music of The Sound of Music.  Add my two little girls up there singing, and it was a celebration.  During Scott's curtain call, Scott cracked everyone up by doing the Heisman pose after his bow.  So I laughed, I cried. That's all you can ask from a show, right?
Scott resting up for his next audition...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was an amazing performance by everyone!..especially Scott, his debut..Golda and Ruby were beautiful..All three were superb and I was so happy I could go to the performance and see them on Friday. Golda and Ruby have really grown in their ability and you could see it in them, they are born to perform, plays or in their music!..Circe, you can be proud and shed a few tears!...and the ice cream after was lots of fun, especially Toly!...Congratulations Scott, Golda and Ruby on a wonderful performance..you can feel great about yourselves. Love, Tricia XOXO..I am so happy I got to see you before I leave.

Michelle said...

I teared up during Edelweiss too! It was really a beautiful production and I feel sorry for those (my sleeping husband) who missed seeing your fabulous three. Matthew wanted to know why we don't "do" plays like you guys.

Did you see Captain Von Trapp has some fun pictures on his facebook?

Emily said...

looks magical! one of these days my kids will get old enough that I dare to bring them!! so definitely keep doing them!

Queen Elizabeth said...

What a great experience for your girls to have been in a play with their dad! Way to swallow the ego and go for it Scott! You couldn't have picked a better play. Kudos!

Lexie said...

I loved coming & this makes me want to be in an other play!!!

Jennie said...

They all did such a great job. We loved it. Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Taylor Family said...

We loved the play!!! I was so impressed. You should be a proud MOm and wife. We love you guys and little Kip can't wait to meet you today.

Anonymous said...

SO sorry we missed it. Looks like your family again shone:)! Thank for your comments about Ethan. We are so happy about it!

Anonymous said...

SO sorry we missed it. Looks like your family again shone:)! Thank for your comments about Ethan. We are so happy about it!

Jenny said...

Thoroughly impressed with the play. You all did such a great job! My favorite scene was the pillow fight scene, and Oh of course the one you were in Scott! Congratulations on a job well done. Broadway, here you come!

laurel said...

Fabulous! Beautiful! Star studded!!! Wow!!

Remember us when you get your stars on the walk of fame.

Love that he did the Heisman pose....definatley an Oscar in his future.