Friday, June 25, 2010

Help My Daughter

I have a child who is bright, creative, beautiful and loving.  She gets good grades and is kind and thoughtful.  She loves to draw and paint and imagine.

She is also the reason for almost every parenting and child development book I've ever read.  Each time I read a checklist for a disorder - ADHD, depression, sensory integration problems, you name it, I think, "Oh my gosh!  That is Ari!"  I have labeled her "strong-willed, difficult, intense," and every other label that comes around.  It's not that she is a problem.  She is a delight.  I know that better than anyone.  It is that she is suffering in her mind in some way and I don't know how to help her.  She saw a therapist this last year to develop coping skills and that helped, but I still feel at a loss.  I know that among my blog friends, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge and maybe someone can tell me what to do next.  One thing a bewildered mother never wants to hear is, "Oh that's normal.  My kid does that too.  She's fine."  But across the fine line from that patronizing fluff is guidance that comes from having been there, and advice on where to go from here.  If Ari weren't out of sync, I would know it. 

Some random facts:  She has an exceptionally high pain threshold (Almost went deaf because of undetected ear infections.  Never complained), but is sensitive to the lightest touch, too, and screams if someone brushes her.  There are days when everything she says comes out in a belligerent tone.  She can eat much more than a typical child.  She can disrupt an otherwise peaceful setting with imagined drama.  She does whatever she feels she needs to do, regardless of the consequences.  Threats or rewards do not mean anything to her.  (Fortunately, I have found ways to work around this by setting a routine for her and giving her time to transition from one activity to the next, and lots of time to draw and create.)  She cannot concentrate on reading.  She is always begging to go to the doctor.  "Call the doctor and tell him my ear hurts really, really bad.  Call the dentist and tell him one side of my mouth hurts.  My stomach ALWAYS hurts.  Call the doctor."  She even looks forward to shots and is jealous when Ptolemy gets them.  Is she looking for some kind of relief from pain that she can't put her finger on?  If I took her to the doctor, what would I say? That I see adolescence looming and I want to buy insurance against the suffering she will endure if I don't solve this puzzle?  Moms, help me put the pieces together.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if this helps, but studies have shown profoundly gifted children have a high tolerance for pain.

Michelle said...

Gosh, I wish I had answers. All I know is Ari has the right parents who will and do find solutions for her. Sorry I don't have more.

Kristi said...

I'm no help, just posting to say that one thing Ari has going for her is great parents. Perhaps she really will just grow out of much of this? I also really believe that gifted/artistic people struggle with balance and processing... it's just how they seem to be wired?!

Sorry I'm not any help. You'll raise an amazing daughter, I'm sure of it.

Amanda said...

I don't know what to tell you except that I truly believe parents have the right to inspiration for their own children. You know her better than anyone and you're the best advocate she can have. I can't tell you how many parents I've read about that just knew something was off or different about their kids and didn't know how to get help. If you truly feel that way, keep searching, consult doctors until they listen to you, and pray a lot. Good luck! And I'll be praying for you too!

Jennifer said...

I'm hurting for you. Worse than not having the answers is not knowing what questions to ask. I think Amanda's advice is spot on. Perhaps time in the temple and a priesthood blessing (for you) can help you know what specific things to ask about, what to research, which doctors to seek.

Take care.

Jennie said...

Circ - our internet access here is iffy. I love everyone's comments. I've typed my own comment several times and then hit delete. So much to say and share, but not sure it is appropriate to do it here. But..... for sure on Monday. I love the phrase, "Hope is smiling brightly before us." It is a good thought to hold on to. Love you guys!

Lisa and Tate said...

Ari is so lucky to have such great parents and family.

I know you are hoping for some insight into this problem. So far no one have suggested anything. I just finished attending a week long seminar on Autism and Asperger. I am wondering if it could be Aspergers syndrome. It might be something to look at?

Huge HUGS!!!

Nate said...

You are more in tune with your children than anyone else. Good luck with the search for answers. Continued counseling for Ari might help. Does sound like sensory integration issues.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Circe...have you considered food allergies? I'll try to give you a call in the next few days. !Courtney a

Anonymous said...

I'm no expert, but it does not sound like Aspergers. More like sensory issues. What do her teachers say about her behavior and issues in the classroom? A suggestion from me would be to contact PCMC doctors to get a consult or the U med center.

On another note: Circe, your writing in incredible -- insightful and humorous. I could just picture you at the dentist's office. Best line is "but some of can't chew." For some reason it made me laugh. You are an awesome, multi-tasking mother. Your children are blessed to have you as their mom.

Melinda Lomax & Fam said...

I think one of the hardest things about NOT KNOWING what is wrong is that you end up dealing with and fearing EVERYTHING instead of just what the issue is. That is so hard and I'm sorry you are going through this. I keep thinking of this story that I can't even remember the details of... A lady had a physical aliment of somekind that was undiagnosed and very very worrisome to her. Her family fasted and prayed for a diagnosis. After a time she was sitting at a football game and struck up a conversation with a person behind her. I person said "how long have you had .... a medical term that the lady had never heard of. After a lengthly conversation and some research and another doctor appointment they were able to diagnos and treat the problem. I think your blog post was a great idea - someone out there knows what to do - Heavenly Father can help you to find them. My experience with Zach and the months of not feeling like the doctors cared OR knew what they were doing helped me realize that miracles come AFTER the trial of our faith. I think that there is a correlation between the depth of pain of the trial and the joy and breath of the miracle. I know that God keeps his promises. Love you!

Jennifer said...

I'm back. I had a thought last comment time but then another thought -- argh, what do I know? -- popped up just as quickly. But today it appeared in front of me again.

Has her thyroid ever been tested? Generally we think it's an adult issue, but twice in the last week I've learned of young people dealing with it. The second was today when I heard a mother in the clinic waiting room call on her cell and relate her young daughter's diagnosis. (No, I wasn't eavesdropping; her voice was loud!)

Thyroid problems mess with your appetite, attention span and moods among other stuff. (I know, because I'm exhibit A). Its symptoms are mimicked by so many other causes, but I understand the thyroid test itself is a simple, direct one -- just a blood draw. OK, not simple to a child!

Good luck to you, Circe.

Michelle said...

I am back too. Guess this post stuck with a lot of us. I was wondering what the therapist she saw last year thought. Did she talk about/rule out something like Asbergers? Thanks for violin today!