Monday, June 14, 2010

Perfect Party


Freestone is an enigma with a plan.  He definitely had specific ideas for his birthday party, but they were "hard to explain."  Every time I mentioned something about the party I was planning, Free would rub his little eyes with his fist and cry, "But that's nothing LIKE the party I wanted!"  I tried to develop his ideas into something he would like, but I was worried that Mr. Contrary would end up hating all of it!

Free and I went to the store to get the traditional day-old, half-price cake this afternoon.  There was one cake on the rack, and it was big and chocolatey.  In other words, perfect.  I was so relieved that Freestone seemed to love the cake.  The bakery wrote his name on it, I picked up some balloons, and we were in business. 

With me up to my eyebrows in ballet rehearsals today (and loving it!), Scott planned a treasure hunt and an activity for the party.  The marshmallows and toothpicks entertained the boys for a good half hour.  Freestone, the night before, had even drawn a scientific-looking diagram of the 3-D sculpture he was going to make.  Then, the treasure hunt had the group running all over, from the clubhouse to Scott's car, and finally to the field to dig up a buried treasure, a box of candy. 

I think the boys wore themselves out, because they can barely keep their eyes open to see the main event of the party, Super Mario Brothers on the wall in Scott's theater.  I'm thinking Freestone's Seventh birthday party was a big success.  So far, Freestone agrees.  I'm pretty sure the now-happy birthday boy will wake up tomorrow and say his party was "nothing like he planned."  That's just how Mr. Contrary rolls.  But for now, he's having the time of his 7-year-old life.  Man, I love this kid!

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Thanks for letting the boys come over. I hope they don't wake up too early.

Michelle said...

It looks awesome! I have Josh and Brittany's party this month. Does Scott hire out?

The homestead said...

Love the look of your blog! Sounds llike a great boy birthday party. Constructing, destroying, playing in the dirt, electronics, and candy. What more could a boy ask for?

Amanda said...

I can't believe you effortless you make parties sound. I would have agonized over that for weeks!

Lexie said...

It was a peaceful party. thx 4 letting the boys come over! I love your blog background!

laurel said...

Happy b-day!

Seriously, Freestone, you were born into the bestest family ever! You are SO lucky!