Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Good Camp, Bad Camp

All of my creative energy is going here this week:


My morning Violin Camp is going swimmingly. We do an hour of violin playing, rhythm, theory and ear training, then an hour of arts and crafts.  I have a great group of kids.  Golda and Ruby are my teaching assistants and have done a very nice job with the violin beginners. The beginners have learned quite a bit in 3 days! It's so much fun to have 16 kids playing the violin all over the house when we break into groups. I love it!

My afternoon theory class, on the other hand, has taught me something about myself: I'm a loser. I challenge you to spend two hours a day with three teenage girls whose mothers decided they should spend their summer at some weird lady's house learning music theory and practicing note reading. You will come to realize that you're a hopeless dork. So awkward! On the bright side, this afternoon theory class is making everything else in my life seem really, really easy.  So the misery is actually good.  Yin and Yang.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You are the least dorky person I know! Only you would think it wonderful to have that many kids (noisemakers!) all over your house. I would have a migrane! But lucky me, I am your friend so I get to benefit from your creativity! Brittany is loving violin camp!

Jennifer said...

I knew a guy who had done both pre-med and music courses in college. He said music theory was harder.

Do you do any remedial camps? If so, sign me up. My ear these days is not my friend (as far as pitch). You probably already knew that!

The homestead said...

Keep it up. Those older girls have no idea how lucky they are to go to your camp.

Maria said...

Circe I so feel your pain. Every month I do group lessons and the advanced group with the teenagers has become a bit embarrassing to say the least. They are not into my stupid jokes and I am at a loss especially when it comes to theory! We usually end up talking about what is happening in their lives and that opens up to boyfriend and girlfriend problems. I try to nod and pretend like their problems are monumental. Like I remember them to be. Thinking inside "kid, you have no idea!" That seems to work. Not as much music as I would like but at least I feel like I am "being there" for them. Maybe I am not and they are just humoring me. You've got me wondering!
I am extremely impressed you are attempting to juggle violin camp at your house and keeping sane! AMAZING!

laurel said...

Seriously. Is there anything you don't do well or at all. I am in awe.