Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cribs of the Wasatch Front

Sleeping anywhere but his crib.



Freestone had a question the other day.

"Mom, remember when daddy used to sleep in your bed before Ptolemy was born?  Why did he do that?" 
"That's how it works.  He sometimes just doesn't sleep in the bed because he's afraid of squishing Ptolemy."
"Oh.  So, when babies are born, dads sleep on couches?"
"Well, no.  A lot of babies sleep in their cribs."
Freestone looked very skeptical and alarmed and said, "All alone?!  When they're tiny?!"
"Yep."

"Whoaaaaa."

Even though Scott would rather sleep in a room where he can't hear me snore and vice versa, Ptolemy should probably be introduced to his crib at some point.  It still has the pristine, crisp sheets on it that I put on before he was born.  The few times we have stuck him in the crib, he has acted like it was a hideous betrayal.  The Pod is a cuddly little "people person!"  There are grundles of parenting books that say babies should learn to sleep by themselves, but there's plenty of time for that later.  I finally took the neglected crib out of Ari's room and put it in the laundry room.  (Remember when Xanthe lived there?)  Maybe the vertical stripes will hypnotize Tolly into falling asleep on his own.  Poor little guy, he has no idea that his co-sleeping days are numbered. 

6 comments:

Jennie said...

So funny! Yes, there is time for that later. You can be the hard core mom when he is two or something. For now, POD has us all wrapped around his little finger. What a sweet boy. I seriously can't believe he is one. I kinda don't want to see him grow up. It is so cute to have that little soul around. How was Day 2 of the Stay-cay?

sws said...

how did he grow so fast? Great photos!

Eliza2006 said...

I don't even know why I need a 3 bedroom house, one bedroom suits us just fine! Actually Sol sleeps in his bed, but for some reason when my babies hit about 18 months old and are teething, they start to make their way into my bed...and it lasts years.

Michelle said...

So funny! I love Free! We have the opposite ends of the spectrum going, you and I. Josh hopes to get out of his crib by the time he is five!

Jenny said...

I am laughing because POD is completely opposite of my girls. They really only like to sleep in their cribs and car seats. We just love that smiley little guy and love how he knows just how to wrap just about anyone around his little finger with that "melt you" smile.

Anonymous said...

I love Free's remember when question! Best wishes with the crib sleeping. Em never did get there.