Monday, July 5, 2010

Nana's Musical Influence

 Opa years ago with Jill, Christina, Dan, Krissy, Circe and David.  I think.  Is that right?

Sometimes when we visit Nana, the kids take their instruments and put on a little performance.  It's always nice to have a captive audience who thinks you're wonderful.  An added bonus is that Nana can't help but do a few numbers herself.  She has always been very, very musical.  She sang the lead in her high school musical, The Desert Song, and she performed all over town with her sister when they were young.  Ruby and Asenath had quite the duet career singing and playing the piano.  Nana Ruby is accomplished on the violin, piano, organ, guitar and mandolin.  On this occasion, she chose some pretty morose songs to sing.  My computer has no sound today, so I can't tell which one I uploaded, but I hope it's the one about the little children who get lost in the woods and die.  Click here!  We were in tears laughing.  Tragic!  Some of those Depression-era tunes are grim!

Even though my kids are all scarred for life because of the gruesome ballads Nana performed for them, I am extremely grateful for Nana's musical influence.  She makes music so exciting.  She always says, "Music can take you so many places."  It's true.  Music can be your best friend and traveling companion, no matter how far you go.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Can I adopt Nana? I need a grandparent to visit. Yes, I've only seen her through her smiling pictures, but she seems to have a genuinely happy countenance. What a neat lady.

Funny story: I was in the foyer Sunday when the other ward dismissed and a family walked down the hall and around the corner together. Wow, I thought, that kid is a dead ringer for Freestone. What a handsome green shirt.

Then I walked into Primary and saw Freestone's handsome green shirt.

Jenny said...

I never knew Nana was so musically talented. What a fun memory!

Anonymous said...

What a great legacy she has passed along to daughters, granddaughters, and greats!

The homestead said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the story.