Sunday, July 18, 2010

Last First Birthday



Ptolemy turned one!  I can't believe I've been packing this fun little guy around for a whole year.  It's gone by much too quickly.  I'm constantly thinking how thankful I am that he made it to our family.  We NEEDED him in so many ways!  He's a complete delight, and the perfect finishing touch to our family.  For his birthday, he took us all (except Free, who was at another birthday party) to the Indian place for lunch.  The food was great, but Tolly fell asleep before the main course!  When lunch was over, Xanthe said, "Let's go home and get ready for the party!"  I said, "This IS the party," she said, "But it has to have lots of people!"  The kids were outraged that there was no carnival of craziness planned to commemorate our favorite baby's very first birthday!

We reminded them that just last week, Grandma made him a cake and the Dopps had a party at Ryan and Jennie's to celebrate the July birthdays.  He got lots of great gifts and got to smash a tiny piece of his cake.  It  was so good, we decided to eat most of it rather than let him smash it.  Thanks, Grandma!


After Taste of India, the family sang Happy Birthday and had raspberry shakes.  It was too hot for cake!  Ptolemy was wary of the candle!  Still, the kids were unsatisfied with the level of commitment to celebration.


So later, the boys went to Yogo Togo for a birthday yogurt.  Freestone showed Tolly how to mix toppings for a very exciting treat!  I think he got some of every available topping.  But was that enough for The Golden Baby's First Birthday?  No!



Ruby made cupcakes, which we had for dinner Saturday night before Ari left for her play.  And Golda, not to be outdone in the loyal sister category, made The Lambie Cake.  Every one of our kids got a First Birthday cake shaped like a lamb.  It was a tradition.  After we celebrated Xanthe's first birthday, I gave away the lambie cake pan for obvious reasons.  We certainly didn't have any more first birthdays on the horizon!  So Golda had to improvise for Ptolemy with a frosting sheep.  The Kings came over after church Sunday for more Happy Birthdays and more candles.  This time, we let Tolly dig into his cake.  He loved it!  For now, I think the festivities are over.  Golda and Ruby keep saying, "He HAS friends!  We should have a party!  He has Kate and Landon and Isaac and Camden..."  Scott said to the girls, "You guys, Camden is away at college."  That cracked them up, since Camden is always one step ahead of Tolly!  (I thought you'd get a kick out of that, Marianne!)  

So until one of The Pod's siblings plans another soiree, this is a wrap for our last first birthday!  We love you, little Tolly!



7 comments:

Jenny said...

I am glad to see Tolly is so well cared for by EVERYONE! What a fun first birthday! I think I am going to put your family in charge of my birthday celebrations.

Eliza2006 said...

Happy birthday to your sweet caboose! He sure is cute...and spoiled by all those siblings!

laurel said...

Party! Party!!! What an absolute memorable birthday. By the way, I love Indian food.

Happy b-day Tolly!!!!!!!!!

Lisa and Tate said...

Happy Birthday!!! In shock that it has been a year since his birth!

Michelle said...

See but now I feel bad I didn't get to celebrate Tolly! Maybe next park day!

C and MC said...

I am glad to see that even Scott is in on these Camden jokes. PARTY time! Camden and Tolly need to hang out. I can't believe he is 1 already, holy smokes. Hope you had a good one Ptolemy. (And yes, I always love the Camden references.)

Kristi said...

That Birthday Boy is exceptionally cute!

I love the festivities and celebrations. So sweet that your kids wanted him celebrated in style!

Happy #1, Tolly!