Monday, July 19, 2010

Vacation, Day One

It's the first day of our two-week "vacation," and it's been a combination of obligations I failed to cancel and misguided attempts to entertain kids who have too much free time on their hands.  What I've learned so far is that the only person in the world who is worse at relaxing than I am is Xanthe.  And that while Golda's idea of fun is going to the mall, Freestone's idea of fun is staying home playing the Wii.  Ruby's idea of fun is quietly baking and Xanthe's idea of fun is having everybody using 100% of their resources to entertain her.  Ptolemy's idea of fun is dozing while he nurses and Araceli's idea of fun is cackling maniacally while spinning around on the floor in her jammies.

So this is never going to work.

I keep resisting the urge to set goals like, "I'm going to read a whole book every day" or "We have to spend at least two hours a day at the pool."  Really, maybe I have OCD.  Even when we're in total relaxation mode at the beach, I have it all structured.  It's like, "First, I'll take one kid a day to Starbucks for a little outing.  Then we'll go to the beach and relax for 90 minutes.  Then we'll relax at the pool for an hour.  Then we'll take a laid-back stroll along the beach, but we have to go at least one mile.  Lunch will be at 1:00, then we have to dig in the sand for at least two hours before we break open the Chips Ahoy."  What is wrong with me?

I am making progress, though.  On Saturday, I dropped Ari off at a cast party and sneaked to the pool all by myself.  I swam a couple of laps, then read my book, occasionally looking up to admire the mountains.  30 minutes was just enough time to cool off and slow down before diving back into life, which can seem like anything but a clear blue pool of liquid zen, but which is nonetheless heaven for me.  As delicious as relaxation is, it's best enjoyed in small portions, like dark chocolate.

Actually, the vacation isn't going too badly.  The kids are in the cool basement watching Aquamarine.  They have a goal to watch at least two movies every day.  And we made a list of acceptable vacations foods, limited to pizza, raw fruits and veggies and cookie dough.  Am I ruining these kids?

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so proud of you. I bet this is torture, in a way. Making brownies and delivering them to nearby cousins is always a good way to pass the time. :)

Michelle said...

Go Circe!! I think you are doing great! I am so proud of you for taking the swim especially! Hey need to borrow any movies? Oh, and I'll take Ruby and her baking skills. I think we may do the park on Wed-don't feel pressure. You could always leave the kids at home and come alone!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your vacation plans! The alone time in the pool sounds like a bit of Heaven:)

Jennifer said...

"As delicious as relaxation is, it's best enjoyed in small portions, like dark chocolate."

I love this! It's a fine line we toe between boredom and relaxation, and parents and children seldom agree!

Can't wait to here more. And no, you are not ruining these kids. You're building them in grand fashion.