Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Intervention

I don't CARE about spelling!
 Full of hot air.  Always trying to come up with an instrument that is easier than violin.

Math worksheets are not supposed to be entertaining.  Freestone, did you hear that?  Here is another one of Freestone's math worksheets.  The first question, all four multiple choices are circled.  Notice the answers on the second and third questions:  "bla bla bla" and "ya ya ya."  On the last question, where it says, "Using only the following shapes,"  Freestone made up his own shapes.

Um, I am sensing what my dad would call a little too much hubris.  (I love this definition:  Hubris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities.)  Yep, that's our boy.  And math isn't the only area where Free's Devil-may-care attitude is showing up.  He got two out of 15 on his ENGLISH spelling test last week.  I told him he can't look at a screen until he gets 100% on a spelling test, and that includes Harry Potter on the Kindle.  So last night I gave him a pre-test.

rael rode.
areport.
anythig.
make-beleave.
beakfast.

(It reminds me of an old BYU joke where - here's the abridged version - a football player is talented, but SO dumb, BYU says, "OK, if you can get one letter right in a spelling word, you can stay on the team.  Spell coffee."  The football player says, "K-A-U-G-H-Y."  I think it was after my dad told this joke at Nana's house that Nana banned all talk of politics, sports and religion, and my dad started cutting out and wearing newspaper headlines on his forehead whenever the caption was something like "Utah defeats BYU.")

I have to hand it to the kid, he has gone to town on his spelling this week.  Any time he wanted to do something fun, I would give him a pre-test.  Last night, he finally got all the words right.  Oh, so he CAN spell.  Hmm.  Gud gob, Enotseerf.  (Yes, that is how he spells his name.  Backwards.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

His answers on his test were brilliant! I love it! I have always wanted to do that on a test but never dared. I know he probably knows the correct answers but thought "who cares how much Carson earned mowing a lawn?" Also, the most brilliant minds are the worst spellers because the English language makes no sense when it comes to phonics. I love how feisty he is and as a school teacher those are the kids we love the most!

Catherine said...

Oy! Homework time at your place must be delightful...NOT!

He really is quite clever though. Now, to hone those skills into his homework.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Oh boy! Being a mom is the most challenging, rewarding job out there. You are a great mom Circe!