Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snowfall

 Bits and pieces of Christmas spirit have been swirling around my head all week, like a winter storm made up of blessed moments, each as beautiful and distinct as a snowflake, all coming together to create harmony.  Early in the week, it was very foggy.  Ptolemy exclaimed, "I don't want it to be holy smokes out here!"  I, on the other hand, quite liked being inside my very own cloud.  I had received the opportunity to help my amazing sister-in-law Jennie with the fundraiser you've all heard about.  Ensconced in my dense, cozy world, I started making phone calls and watched with gratitude as offers started rolling in as thick as the fog.  Offers to play music, donate items, baked goods, money and time.  It has been my goal to really feel the spirit of Christmas this year, and I can tell you, there is no better way to do that than to be involved in some small way in helping a neighbor.  The best comes out in everyone and you begin to see people with more compassionate, grateful, loving eyes.
 My neighborhood, my "ward," if you will, was especially generous.  With this view from our back porch, I can see one neighbor's house.  I love all my neighbors and I love living here "in the shadows of the everlasting hills."  One friend at church today put it best:  "I can be my own motley crew mess here and nobody minds."  In our little congregation, we collectively seem to know, mostly from experience, that we are each our own "motley crew mess," as individuals and as families, and we love each other not so much in spite of it, but FOR the fact that we are imperfect, yet exquisite children of God.  Most of my neighbors would scoff at the notion of trying to impress anyone, just as they would scorn the idea of judging anyone unfairly.  There are open arms all around us.
 I walked in the door last night from my annual Davis Girls dinner, so grateful that I had a warm house to come home to, my arms heavy with gifts, my heart light with love and my soul filled with gratitude.  I know for sure that whatever storms I have to weather in the future, I will have the shelter of everyone around me to protect me.  It is powerful to live in a community where reaching out is expected.  Golda's good friend's brother was diagnosed with cancer this week.  Golda texted me from school and said, "Can we take them dinner?"  I love that at her young age, she has had the example from her teachers and leaders that we spring to action, no questions asked, no time to lose.  That night, Golda's friend's family felt our support and we were grateful.
 Ruby gave a talk in Sacrament meeting on this very topic this morning.  She spoke on the YW theme, Arise and Shine Forth, and focused on the goals the Young Women set this year, and how the goals the girls set were merely for practice in becoming the kind of women the adults in her life are.  She has been heavily influenced by the amazing people around her, just like Golda.  We are so fortunate!  Ruby made pies for my book club Thursday.  She was being quite the ham when I snapped her picture.  Thanks, Ruby!  My heart is full with a blanket of Christmas spirit as pure and peaceful as the snowfall that greeted us this morning.  I know it's because of the generosity of our friends, family and neighbors and the message their example sends to our kids.  We can't do it alone.  I'm sure thankful for the storms we weather together and the company we keep in sunshine and snow.


2 comments:

Jennie said...

So very true. We all need each other. Thanks for being part of my crew of helpers. This past weekend wouldn't have been as successful without all your help.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I love the snow pictures!