Sunday, December 16, 2012

No Words



My (2nd) Class December 15, 2012
As I was teaching ballet Saturday morning, I didn't do a lot of talking.  The tears were too close to the surface.  As I looked at all those innocent faces and perfect bodies, the enormity of the lost lives in Connecticut was overwhelming.  Each of my small students is a universe of potential, housed in a body that is new and strong.  I can't dwell on the devastation for too many seconds at a time without completely breaking down.  I am angry, but I can't talk about that right now. I have 27 ballet students.  If all of them were suddenly gone...the void would be deep and wide, endless.

At the end of each class, after reverence, I always tell them something like how much I admire their hard work or how fortunate they are to be at ballet, or how wonderful they are.  This day, all I could choke out was, "You are great kids."  And I'm so thankful they are here.

4 comments:

laurel said...

It has been a horrible tragedy. I hope we all hug those around us a little tighter.

Jennie said...

I know. All I can think about is how devasted I would have been if it were Izzy's class. Our hearts are breaking for those parents and the families involved. I also think of the life of the gunman. His brain must have been so tired and so sick. I LOVE what Emilie's father (the family with ties to Utah) said on one of the news casts about how he was so lucky to be her dad. He also reached out to the gunman's family and expressed his love for them and the heartache they are experiencing. All around... this is so, very, very, sad! As Alexis and I have been discussing the events, we talked about how much our testimonies mean to us. We are so sad for those parents who feel that they will never see their loved ones again. The knowledge we have of life after death helps us wrap our heads arounds such saddness.

Michelle said...

Jennie said it well, so did you. Josh wanted to sit on my lap, big kid that he is, all through church and I was more than happy to let him squish and wrinkle me because I kept thinking how all 20 of those moms would give anything to be able to do the same. Jennie is right, I don't know how anyone survives such a thing with out the gospel.

Catherine said...

Just reading your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes once again. So many innocent lives taken. Praying for all of those families. Not knowing what to do but knowing we have a God who can comfort even in impossible circumstances.