Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hashtag Nutcracker Week

"Mom, did you ever wipe off the counter?"
"No, why?"
"Remember?  This morning I told you Tizzy took off her diaper and peed on it?"
"Oh. I...what??!"

#nutcrackerweek

"Mom, my dance friends wanted to go to lunch tomorrow... "
"How fun!"
"...And they wanted to do it at our house."
(Deep breath) "OK. Yes!"
(Note to self:  wipe off counter.)

#nutcrackerweek

Freestone: "Mom, I just realized something.  I'm in a store wearing make-up and tights. Is that even legal?!"

#nutcrackerweek

"Mom, my ankle hurts."
"Oh, me too.  Here, have a cough drop. I just found them!"
"Mom, it's not my throat.  It's my ankle."
"Oh. Well. Have a cough drop anyway. It might help."

#nutcrackerweek

 #nutcrackerweek
11:25 pm:  "Good night, Golda!  Did you get your All-State application submitted?  It's due at midnight."
"Aaaaaaargghgh!"

#mustbenutcrackerweek
 #yep.

The beautiful thing is that when the curtain opens on all those glowing faces and pointed toes, there are a million back stories, countless circumstances, flurries of activities wrapped up and untold hearts that contain stories of joy, loss, sorrow, gratitude and satisfaction.

 It's not just dancing.  It's not just art.  It's life.


“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

― Alan MooreWatchmen


3 comments:

michelle said...

This might be my favorite Nutcracker post ever! Good luck Dopp kids! I am still considering bringing a protest sign due to the missing Dopp faces though.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Busy, busy, busy, but fun, fun, fun, excitement at the Dopp house. What a special time, wish I could see it. Wish Golda and Freestone good luck and tell Ruby and Ari I will be missing them in my thoughts as I hum the melodies and envision sugar plumb dancers. Love the Nutcracker! Enjoy every second, can't wait to see more pictures, these of Golda and Free are awesome! Enjoy! xo Tricia

Jennie said...

Can't wait to see G and Free tonight. What a fun and memorable week. I hope you are all surviving and not too sleep deprived. Love ya!