Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It's OK

My aunt Tricia was in the hospital once, a long time ago.  I remember her small daughter standing in the parking lot of the hospital, looking up at her mom's window singing her own song.  "It's o....k....it's o...k...."  It wasn't OK, but things worked out.  Tricia got better.

Forever after that, my friend Sarah and I would sing that little song whenever things got rough, as a sort of funny lullaby.  It always brought a smile through the tears.  When I was in college, I drove with my dear friend Gema to northern Indiana to attend a roommate's wedding.  Gema is Spanish, and her English was terrible at the time;  almost as bad as my Spanish.  We communicated through laughter and charades.  It was a blizzard the night we drove north, and my little VW Fox was no match for the icy roads.  In the darkness, the car skidded out of control.  I managed to veer off the freeway onto an exit ramp that went uphill, spinning the steering wheel to find purchase as we careened closer and closer to the edge of the road. We grazed the guardrail that separated us from the 30-foot drop of the overpass we were headed toward.  All the while we sailed over the ice, I chanted loudly, desperately, "It'sOK it'sOK it's OK it's OK it's OK!"

It wasn't OK, and we should have died that night, but we ended up in a fluffy, benign snowdrift instead of going over that edge.  Later, Gema and I would chant the "It's OK" mantra to lighten the mood if things ever got too serious.  It broke the language barrier.  Eventually, it became a funny story.

Tonight I found myself breathing deeply and repeating,

"It's OK."
"It's OK."
"It's OK."

And it's not.  But it will be. 

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry to learn of your mother-in-law's cancer. Uterine, right? I pray she will get wonderful care from her doctors -- and KNOW that she will get wonderful care from her family. Love to you!

Unknown said...

It will be ok. We will send prayers your way.

Jennie said...

Love this little memory. I think eventually.... it will be okay too, even though these next SIX weeks are going to be intense for her. We can love her through anything, right? :)

The homestead said...

Sorry for your trials. I always think of Pres. Hinckley when times are tough and of his incredible optimism- it helps a little.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I'm so sorry. Life can be so rough. I'll be thinking about you and your family.

Michelle said...

I hate that you guys have to tackle this yucky road. But your mantra is a good one. Lots of prayers coming your way.

sws said...

Hang in there, Dopp family....you are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of Marlene's cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with her and with all of you, her family. Will be sending "ok" wishes and prayers on her behalf. It is never right to minimize any kind of cancer, the "C" word is scarey, nor is any time the right time, but I feel in my heart all will be "ok" amd it will be a "Thanksgiving Blessing" that it was caught in time. God Bless you all, you are in my prayers. Please pass on my sentiments to Marlene. Love, Tricia