Sunday, November 3, 2013

Those Hard Halcyon Days



 Wednesday after school, Dance Company rehearsal and ballet, Golda packed her bags for the rest of her night:  dinner in a bowl, flute, lesson music, wind ensemble music, dance clothes, and homework.  Homework, you know, in case there was any time between eating in the car, her flute lesson, band concert and last dance class.  So that's why she usually doesn't start her homework until after 10 pm.  Good thing she doesn't have to be out the door until 7 in the morning, right?

I feel guilty, I really do, when Golda is always working so hard.  Wednesday night at 10, as she was cracking open all that last-day-of-the-term homework, I told her, "I'm so sorry you have to do chemistry.  I have nothing but fun planned for tomorrow."  She said wearily, "Thanks, Mom."  Apparently, my attempt at sympathy came off more as flaunting my life of leisure.  In some ways, high school is a beautiful time of freedom and awakening.  It's a golden time that never comes again in any form.  In other ways, it's more grueling than any other time of life, both practically and emotionally.  You're studying things you don't necessarily care about, yet you may be at the pinnacle of developing talents that you love.  You have obligations to a family, yet you're developing as an individual.  It's all preparation for "life," and it can feel a lot like cramming.  Like everything is at stake.  And honestly, it is.  So being a teenager is a lot to handle.

I remember my high school experience with extreme fondness.  But I would never go back.  It was too hard!  I made too many mistakes!  I could say the same thing about almost any stage in my life.  It was wonderful, but it was hard, and I don't know that I was very good at it.  But the fact that I don't want to go back tells me I'm headed in the right direction, and Golda is too.  I am proud of her for a work ethic that never stops.  I love her for the way her inner light shines out through her countenance.

When she gobbles up her dinner en route from one thing to the next, having planned hours and hours ahead to make her day run like clockwork, my heart swells.  Both because Golda reminds me of my youth, and because I'm so glad it's her turn and not mine!  I must say, Golda, you're doing us "right proud," as they say in Davis County.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I love all your girls (and kids). They are all so accomplished and have such great work ethic. Golda is truly burning the midnight oil this year with all her responsibilities and opportunities to be involved. I'm sure she will see them all through with flying colors. That is just how she rolls. PS - so sad to hear about the DHS football loss. I don't think my sentiments conveyed that tonight at Grandma's. What a heart breaker for all those Senior boys and their families. So much blood, sweat and tears - literally. Anyway.... once a Dart, always a dart. I have my own DHP! Love ya, G!

michelle said...

Yep, Golda is one of the good ones. But you are right, high school was a great time but I wouldn't do it again either!

Marilyn said...

Golda is AWESOME!

Jennifer said...

Golda is such a gracious young woman. I am grateful for her light.

Anonymous said...

Golda is so on track all the time, she sets the bar for younger ones to follow and sets a great example to her brothers and sisters and friends. She will go far in the world and accomplish so much. She has already done and accomplished so much her life, proud of her, love all of the kids and the things they do. You and Scott have set good examples for them to follow. xo Tricia