Friday, November 8, 2013

Who Cares?


 I signed up to take my girls to a Ballet West dress rehearsal, forgetting that Golda had Nutcracker that night and Ruby and Ari were slated to go to the temple with the Young Women.  (Ari's first YW activity!!)
 So that left me with Freestone.  He has been enjoying his first year of ballet this year, and he is having a ball with Nutcracker.  I can't wait to see him onstage as a Party Boy.  All the way to Salt Lake in the car, this kid was throwing out zingers.  Here's one:  "You know that saying 'If life gives you lemons, make lemonade?'  Well, inless life's going to give you a pitcher, sugar, water, ice and something to cut the lemons with, you're NOT gonna be making lemonade."
 Ballet West was going to perform three short works:  Firebird, Petit Mort and a Balanchine thing set to Gershwin music called Who Cares.  First there was a mini lecture about the works and Ballet West in general.  Adam Sklute said BW is among the top ten companies in the country, and I'm pretty sure it ranks consistently in the top 5.  Utah is insanely rich in the arts.  Firebird, especially the sword work, was incredible.  Petit Mort was achingly beautiful and haunting to me.  To Freestone, it "didn't even have a story."  After that one, Free said, "We should go.  A play that's called Who Cares?  I'm just thinking that's not gonna be very good."
 Since Free had been so attentive during the first two hours, I had to agree, which meant that we had time for bubble tea before I dragged Freestone with me to book club.  When we arrived, already 90 minutes late, I directed Freestone to a corner with his book and said, "OK, right over there, like a little puppy dog."  And there he sat for an hour without a peep, reading his book amid the raucous laughter that is book club.  Freestone is such a great kid!  On the way out, he questioned me, "Did you ever talk about books?"  Uh...no.  We did cover quite a few interesting topics, though!
 So, during the first intermission, I was looking at Facebook and saw one of Freestone's classmates had posted a picture of a turkey project.  Due tomorrow.  Freestone casually agreed with me that, yeah, he should have had it done sooner.  When we got home at 11, out came the modge podge and candy wrappers to adorn Freestone's turkey.  Oh, and also, it's a contest and he wanted to win.

Sometimes Freestone is funny on purpose and sometimes he just naturally cracks me up.  As the turkey neared completion at midnight, I instructed Free to go brush his teeth.  He said innocently, "But I have homework!"  Oh my gosh!  Two pages of math.  This kid is not bothered in the least by procrastination.  In his defense, though, I did put him right to practicing after school and then whisked him off to the ballet right after scouts.
 Bright and early this morning, before 8 am ballroom, the hopefully prizewinning turkey was complete.  Sleep?  Who cares?  We're having too much fun!


4 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

What a busy and productive day! Sounds like Freestone enjoyed every minute of it...besides the ever-so-long ballet production ;)

The homestead said...

Wow! A schedule like that at my house would bring lots and lots of tears! Freestone is awesome!

DeBryFamily said...

Candy wrapper turkey--a winner for sure!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, fun day with Free. Love his candy wrapper turkey, very clever! Love pics of him. Hope Ari enjoyed her first experience at the Temple and special to be with Ruby. xo Tricia