Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017

I miss writing on my blog.  I could clear out the time to do it, maybe, but the concentration is a different story.  The needs and schedules of seven kids, plus Golda, and all my students, dinner, rides...you know how it is.  It takes up too much brain power to leave any for writing.  Another reason I haven't written anything, I think, is that my preschool gig absorbs a lot of the creativity that my mind craves.  That's my outlet, and so I don't have a strong need to write anything down,

That said, I hope to foster some blog posts so that I can have this time period to look back on later.  My word for 2017 is "hustle."  Last year, the phrase was "take the time," and I did.  I was a good phrase, and I bet I thought about it every day and tried to relax into the moment and notice the people around me.  I don't mean for "hustle" to be counter to that.  I just want to have the energy and desire to up my game.  For whatever reason, I got lethargic and lazy after Golda left home, and I'm just starting to get my mojo back.  Scott and I have analyzed how our oldest leaving the nest affected our psyche, and it's still somewhat of a mystery.  We both just went through a letdown after we realized that the end game of raising kids is them leaving.  That's it.  It made a whole lot of what we're doing seem pointless. 

After reevaluating everything, I feel like I can bring back the things that aren't pointless, and start to get excited about them.  You can make a comparison to grades in junior high.  7th and 8th grade grades "don't count," but how much of the effort you put into them carries over into 9th grade and beyond, when it really matters?  Probably a lot.  I have to remind myself that it's important to develop a good work ethic in Ptolemy in 2nd grade, when I really feel like not helping him read and do his homework.  Now, though, I don't sweat it as much.  I just have to learn how to seat it a little bit more.  The pendulum swung too far. 

Through all this, I can honestly say I've been happy every day, loved and appreciated each day, and cherished all the people around me.  I'm a happy person at heart.  I've been happy being sapped of the will to get anything done. Ha ha! 

Here we go into a new year.  I'm always reluctant when things end, and years are no exception.  2016 was good to us.  I'm looking forward to more goals, more events, more projects, more growth in all aspects of my self, and more development of our children.  That's the best part: seeing them grow.  Even if they leave eventually.

No comments: