Friday, January 13, 2017

We, the People

The fifth grade program, "We, the People," always gets me choked up.  This time it was Xanthe's turn, and she's been talking about it since school started.  She has taken it more seriously than even Golda did, and that's saying a lot.  At the beginning of the program, the kids sang the Viking song which has been famous at our house since Golda put her whole heart and soul into the menacing glare and threatening pirate grunt that is part of the song.  Xanthe was equaling menacing, and it immediately brought back memories of tiny Golda, showing early signs of the striver she always was, a trait that is serving her so well in Honk Kong.

But enough about Golda.  There was plenty of emotion to go around!  Just seeing Xanthe's earnest little face up there, singing about the country that was always destined to be hers, even during her year of loneliness and want in China, made me so thankful that she is here.  I have probably had that thought billions of times since she arrived, like I have with all my kids:  "I'm so glad you're here."  But with Xanthe, there's another layer.  "I'm so glad you're HERE."



Lady Liberty.  I've always been fascinated with the whole immigrant experience, especially Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. 

All the kids audition for parts, which is very exciting.  Xanthe was put in this song about sailing across the sea to reach America.


The biggest tear-jerker of the night is when the kids sing all four songs of the branches of the armed forces and the military members of the audience stand to be recognized.  I'm so proud of Bruce and my dad for their service.  My dad has always demonstrated such pride in the Navy that I knew it was special and important.



We were triple entertained, having our two nieces, Izzy and Esmae, in the program.  Having Xanthe repeat 4th grade was the best thing we ever did, and a big part of that is being able to be with Esmae and Izzy all through school.

Job well done, Xanthe.  We are so proud of you and love you so much.

No comments: