Friday, January 20, 2017

Grand Canyon...or Grand Fog Pit

Our drive to Arizona for MLK started at 2:35 am, with an uneventful 4-hour drive, then gas.  6 hours in, we went over an 8,000 pass near Jacob Lake.  Beautiful snow was falling heavily.  The world was silent.  It was just us, and the snow was getting deeper by the minute.  I said, "It's a good thing Dad said that travel prayer this morning!"  At that exact moment, the car slid and I lost control. I tried to react with restraint and small movements.  Just as quickly, the car regained purchase on the road and we continued on.  I said, "Wow, we better not drive faster than our angels can fly!"  I'm constantly aware of God's love and watchful care in our lives, and this moment was a stark reminder that God is present and answers prayers when we pray for protection.  Not long after that, as we continued to make the slow descent out of the pass, a fast Jeep passed us.  We rode out the rest of the storm in tis tire tracks, followed by another minivan that I felt safe having behind us.  I was glad to get down to rain.

Navajo Nation.  I want to spend more time here!


The ranger told us ruefully that the Grand Canyon has its own weather pattern.  Down out of the high altitudes, we hit another storm in the park and the canyon was completely socked in with fog.







Ruby wasn't picturing snow when she packed!  None of us were!

This was the view from Watchtower.  Zero, and I mean zero visibility.  I was bummed for Frank, since part of the reason for our trip was to show him the GC.
The fire was truly delightful in the Watchtower.
My precious girls.





Ranger booklets.  I could have stayed in that cozy lodge all day.  I love the National Parks.  I LOVE them!  I can't wait to go to Bears Ears.  We drove through some of that land on our way, and it is just breathtaking.

On the way out of the park, the sky cleared enough for us to stop and take in the tippy corner of the park.



My fave pic of the whole entire trip.

See? I even posted it twice.

No comments: