Saturday, April 5, 2008

Creative Genius?




Freestone, the kid I sometimes call Mr. Contrary, is always busy inventing ways to get out of guitar practicing. He doesn't go with the standard, "I don't want to," or "I'm too tired." His methods are far more advanced than that, albeit no more effective. He has yet to come up with an excuse so good, it actually gets him out of practicing. But he's still working on it. It began one lesson day when I told him to get in the car for guitar. He said, "Oh, I quit guitar. See ya!" Nice try. He tried the same trick week after week. Points for determination, but it wasn't going to work.
One day, Free started sitting on his guitar stool in front of the music stand and tapping out rhythms on the music stand. OK...He did it faithfully for a few days before letting me in on the fact that the music stand was his new instrument, and he was practicing it, so would I please be quiet. He was upset when I got out the guitar and told him he now had two instruments. His next endeavor was the bath-toy-penny-whistle, a career that was mercifully short-lived. Free walked around the house sliding up and down the scale on this plastic whistle until I grabbed it out of his mouth and threw it into the gully, overcome by annoyance. Freestone was sad about his penny whistle future being destroyed in such an undignified way.
Soon after that, however, he came home from school with a new instrument, the Paper Plate "Houka-laylee." It was great for me because the rubber band strings didn't make a lot of noise. So I let Free play it all day until it was time to practice guitar. He does practice every day. Sometimes he even does a good job. Recently, Free poked his finger in my eye when I gave him a "good job" hug. Instead of throwing him into the gully, I walked away. From the next room, I heard the guilt-ridden strains of Freestone's guitar, playing his song perfectly, a feat he can't seem to accomplish when I'm present. It was his apology for blinding me in my right eye, and it worked. I've never heard a more heart-felt "Sorry, Mom." When words fail, music speaks, right?
I told Freestone's guitar teacher yesterday that I heard Freestone play his song perfectly. Free quickly countered with, "No I didn't!" So if you see Freestone, don't tell him that his mom said he was a smart, incredible, tenderhearted, lovable boy who does his practicing every day. He'll deny it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Definitely creative genius! I'm so glad to know the two of you are normal. Somehow I never picture you losing it even a little bit! Throwing the whistle in the gully was a move I would have made!

Jennie said...

We always see fun lovin' freestone when ever we are around. It is fun to hear about all of his scheming.

love.boxes said...

Oh.. I loved this post. I was so glad that you threw that whistle in the gully.. I thought you never ever lost your patience with anything.. It made me feel better since I begin the day having lost mine. :)

Queen Elizabeth said...

All I can say is kudos to you for sticking with it. I'd throw in the towel!

Anonymous said...

I love Freestone's excuses! I also love the low penny whistle. Have you heard "Cherish the Ladies?" They came to Utah one year with the Utah Symphony and it was great!!! Here is my email if you want to send info about the book club, I am always looking for fellow bookies:) I'm glad they are reading "Peace Like a River. It is amazing you can teach ballet, repair violins and run a family of five! Incredible!

Elisa said...

I absolutely love your writing style!
So witty and fun to read!
And, the fact that you threw the whistle in the gully... made me feel like a normal person, since I recently did something similar with a recorder flute.