Thursday, April 24, 2008

Menacing Black Clouds and How to Banish Them






The heavy, black clouds hanging over the mountains ruined our zoo plans. They have darkened the sky and made me feel bleak and unmotivated. So I tried to trick my senses into making me feel happy. The smell of laundry detergent, the sound of the dishwasher. The feel of the computer keyboard and the hot cocoa warming my body. The sight of double-decker practicers sharing their stool. And most joyous of all, the taste of tea party food, shared with 4 delightful girls. Now I feel better. And guess what? The sun is out! I see a ray of hope and a glimmer of light. We'd better hurry outside to soak up what sunlight we can before the clouds come back. Oh, and one last laugh to dispell the darkness...Freestone had a balloon that Xanthe really wanted. She hugged it and carried it around saying, "Mine! My byoon! Xanthe-my-mine-Xanthe byoon!" Then it popped. She promptly handed the limp remnant to me, saying, "Tee-tone's byoon." Kids can make you smile even when clouds are spitting down sleet on your tulips!

5 comments:

Elisa said...

HEY! I have the same table cloth as you!
This weather is totally harshing my mellow! Glad you found a cure-all! Your kids could cure any gloominess... they are so darling!

Michelle said...

I love that Xanthe! She made me laugh! Sorry about the zoo, there are probably record numbers of depression this year across the Wasatch front do to lack of sunshine and ongoing winter! glad you aren't one of them!

Jenny said...

I am still laughing about Xanthe. I'm glad to hear she can handle a balloon popping so well! My girls are still weeping about one popped 2 months ago.

The girls loved the tea party and have been talking about this show they have prepared for us. We'll have to get them all back together for a grand performance!

Anonymous said...

teetone's byoon is funny. Amazing how they learn so young:) I liked your recipe for chasing away gloom. Hopefully we get some truly sunny weather sooooooooooooooon!

love.boxes said...

Xanthe is hilarious! I love that kid. She could chase away anyone's dark clouds.