Thursday, April 10, 2008

Happy Birthday!



In 2005, there was a woman in China who was pregnant. When she went into labor on April 10th, she most likely already knew the baby was a girl. She had already decided not to have an abortion, but to secretly carry the baby to term and then say goodbye. I don't know this woman, the sister of my heart. I don't know what factors contributed to her decision to give birth to Xanthe. I know she was courageous, she put herself in great danger, and she did it for her daughter, even knowing that her daughter would call another woman mama. I wonder if her father was the person who left the little bundle at the gate of the orphanage before dawn on April 14th. Is there a more painful journey than walking away from your child? Her umbilical cord was still attached. She wore only a hat and a shirt and had a baby bottle of sugar water by her side. Don't think that Chinese parents cast their baby girls aside. Don't imagine that any parent is capable of such disregard. Condemn the one-child policy, but never condemn Xanthe's birth parents, who gave her life at great sacrifice and risk. At the moment of their greatest agony, Xanthe was already in our hearts, and we were praying for her safe arrival in our family. I wish they could know that. Xanthe was a 14-pound little noodle when she was placed in our arms at 13 months. She was too terrified to do anything but stick out her tongue to let us know she was in there! She was perfectly quiet for 3 days, but she has more than made up for it ever since.
Today is Xanthe's 3rd birthday. When someone asks her how old she is, she says, "A doll cradle." Maybe that's what she wants for her birthday! I made Erin's sticky buns this morning to celebrate, and to hold us over until the birthday party tomorrow! What I meant to say before I got all emotional was, "Happy Birthday, Xanthe! We're so glad you're here, so glad we found each other, and so happy Heavenly Father chose you for us. We love you!"

15 comments:

Circe said...

And Happy Birthday to all of Xanthe's Hunan friends! We hope you are all having fun and getting lots of attention!

Michelle said...

I am all choked up. I still remember the day I meet you at ballet so you could show me Xanthe's picture that had just come. You were so excited and it was so wonderful. She is definitely your daughter, and lucky that she is too. I have to go kiss Joshy now!

Jennie said...

We are so happy as well. What would life be like with out little Xanth. She is such a miracle. Izzy especially loves her cousin. She lights up every time she she's Xanth or her pictures. Happy b-day little X. We love you more than you'll ever know!

SSWS said...

Your posts always make me cry. We love Xanthe and we love you for bringing her to our neighborhood and into our lives. Happy Birthday, spicy girl!!

Elisa said...

That is absolutely touching! It made me get all teary!! Thank you for sharing.

GChinn said...

Circe-
What a beautiful post. Happy Birthday Xanthe.
Ginger

Erin said...

I am happy to say, that John & I were there when baby Xanthe fell in love with you and Scott. Your words are beautiful, and I know in my heart, that they are true. Happy Birthday, beautiful Xanthe!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh... Xanthe really, really looks like Libby!

Taylor Family said...

Happy Birthday sweet little girl. Cade can't wait for your birthday party tomorrow. We love playdough so we are so exctited. He can't wait to get into some trouble with you.

Jenny said...

What a lucky girl and lucky parents. Isn't it nice how it all works out through Heavenly Father's plan?

We love you Xanthe. Can't wait to celebrate tomorrow!

Michelle said...

I love that room! I would love to do that! Hope Xanthe is having a great b-day!

Michelle said...

I was thinking about Xanthe's birthmom today, hoping wherever she was that she somehow knows in her heart that the sacrfice she had to make for her baby ended up being the miracle that it is.

We love Xanthe, and she's such a welcome part of our family.

Happy Birthday little one!!!

Anonymous said...

I would respond if I could see the keys. WOW!! Coco

Jeremy said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I often think of Abby's birthmom and birthdad and pray somehow they know she's safe and loved! Happy belated birthday Xanthe!!

=) Courtney, Tim, Carter and Abby