Saturday, April 26, 2008

Peace Like a River Book Review


Online book club...I love it! I have been waiting weeks to read Tiffany's review. It's fabulous, and a lot more insightful than mine, so check it out. The thing I liked most about the book was the writing style. I loved it. Some of the sentences, I read over and over for the sheer genius of them. The story unsettled me. I started out hoping that Davy would get away because I believed he was justified in his actions, shooting the ruffians. As the book progressed, I found I didn't like Davy at all. I started wishing he would get caught so the rest of the family could return to normal.

I found the father's relationship with the FBI guy fascinating. I loved how the father allowed himself to be led by "the spirit" he felt, and thus permitted himself to work with the FBI guy. Or was the spirit an excuse to work with the FBI, because he felt Davy should be caught? Either way, I liked how the two men became compatible and I was dismayed when FBI (what was his name?) died. Although it was essential to the story to have him out of the picture.

In the end, I felt the family was able to move on with their lives, finally. I didn't end up having sympathy for Davy. On the contrary, he scared me. I came to view him as a cold-hearted person, which I think he was, even if it was a result of his childhood. He was damaged and not willing to be redeemed. I thought the little brother offered a nice foil for the sinister Davy, with his humor and innocence. I would definitely recommend Peace Like a River, just for the language. I love talking about books with friends, so pass on your recommendations!

9 comments:

love.boxes said...

I love your review Circ! I will link it right up.

I don't know if I agree with sinister.. I think it's possible to argue that Davy gave up his life/freedom to save his sister and then was quite reckless again with his own safety in order to save Sara from Jape. There's a part somewhere where Reuben talks about how Waltzer got to the point where he was ready for Sara to be his wife.. "did you think Davy would let that happen?" Davy is complicated. He definitely left grief in his wake.

Your point about the relationship between Andreeson and Jeremiah.. I was also really fascinated by that and by how Jeremiah said, "we won't speak again.." and then they gain this kind of mutual respect for each other. I thought Andreeson's death was one of the saddest points in the book.

I thought all the law men were such interesting characters too. Pullet and Juval are interesting to contrast.

Anyway Circ.. you should host bookclub next(no pressure!).. How about The Glass Castle.. that's my next read!

Anonymous said...

Ok, The Glass Castle is next...May 26? Circe

love.boxes said...

Hooray! Deal!

Red Sand in Our Veins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

I was talking just this week about this book to a friend. Her insights were profound and many. She called the book a Christian allegory, in which Reuben is the prodigal son whose faith wavers (as does his allegiance to Davy) before ultimately coming home.

In broad terms Davy, or at least the path he chose (particularly when he met up with Jape), represents Satan, and Jeremiah is God.

My friend pointed out that Reuben's asthma flares up whenever he is tempted or threatened, or believes Davy to be. It's always Jeremiah that helps Reuben to breathe again.

I was really impressed with how much my friend got out of the book! I look forward to reading it again to see if I find the same parallels she did.

P.S. That deleted post was mine. Oops I'd just been on a family member's blog with that sign-in name, so I reposted as myself.

Anonymous said...

I read Tiffany's review as well and really liked it. I didn't end up thinking of Davy as sinister. Just a boy/man who had lost his faith in anything but himself. I think Reuben was very conflicted about Davy as well...even to the very end of the book. It left me feeling very unsettled, not with peace like a river. But it was very well written. I really laughed in a few spots. And it was a book that doesn't leave when you put it down. Lots of thinking room for right/wrong justice/punishment, etc. Thanks for the review:)

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear your review of "The Glass Castle"

Janice said...

I'd love to be part of the next one and will even offer to host the one after yours.

GChinn said...

Circe-
I just read Tiffany's review and since I am in the middle of Peace Like A River, I don't have much comment yet. Are you involved in two book clubs? I haven't started The Robe yet....I'm dragging my feet on that book. Give me some inspiration to start it.
Ginger