Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank You, Zoo, Arts and Parks Tax!







My dad invited us girls to the symphony. I love Carmina Burana, and it was an exceptional performance. Araceli said her eyes wouldn't open, so she slept soundly as the orchestra and chorus boomed out O Fortuna and the crowd leapt to its feet, shouting, cheering and clapping through 3 curtain calls. I think my dad got a kick out of Ari's valiant effort to stay awake. It was one of those concerts where you feel lucky to have been a part of it.
I also felt lucky to witness another "concert" the other day as the kids hiked through the back yard with their instruments. A very kind and supportive couple in our neighborhood invited them over to play a concert for them in their home. They had somehow convinced the kids that a performance from the Dopps would be the highlight of their lives. Those are the kind of neighbors and friends to cherish. Then, before we could write them a thank you note for making us feel so special, Mrs. Gammon rang our doorbell with a plate of brownies, thanking us for our efforts. Aren't we fortunate to have such great examples to follow?
We finally made it to the zoo, but without all the cousins. It was Freestone's school field trip. In the car, Freestone told me, "Mom, I believe in horses. Do you know why? Because I've seen them a lot of times." I think he believes in elephants and giraffes now, too. I asked him about unicorns, and he wasn't sure where he comes down on that. I thought it might be a good time to talk about faith. Then I remembered that unicorns aren't real. I guess it's not crucial to teach your kids to have faith in mythical creatures. I could have told him that the unicorns weren't obedient, and didn't get on the ark. That's why we never see them. But that would just be a lie. I think I'll save the faith discussion for another day.
Note to parents of children in my Sunbeam class: 1. Don't worry...I'm teaching straight out of the manual. There will be no talk of unicorns in church. 2. Your child isn't listening, anyway. She is too busy telling us what you had for breakfast on Fast Sunday. So I won't believe anything your child says about breakfast if you promise not to believe her if she says unicorns are disobedient. :)

9 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast. Your kids are so cute!!!!

Jenny said...

The pictures say a thousand words!

love.boxes said...

What fun photos.. and lots of fun to go with them. :)

SSWS said...

I wish Henry had you as a Sunbeam teacher! You totally make me laugh. Were Mrs. Gammon's brownies marshmellow and chocolate. She is such a great woman. I love those.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Carmina Burana. Haven't seen it for years but I still remember the first time I saw it with the ballet. The choreography and the chorus were incredible. O Fortuna is wonderful! I finished reading Eat, Pray and Love and the Covenant. I really liked Eat, Pray and Love, especially how she first introduced herself to God in the bathroom. It was a little too much that she had to go to India to give "selfless service" though. The Covenant had some good insight into the Israel/Palistine conflicts. Maybe you could do a book review for Eat, Pray and Love? I'm just starting the books you brought to the greenhouse:) Sunbeams are great:)

Taylor Family said...

That is so sweet of Sister Gammon. I am sure your kids brightened her day. They are so talented at everything they do.

Jenny said...

I am laughing because I am always wondering what Neeley and Kayla are telling their teachers. I'm sure they tell them all about where we went to eat out last Sunday!!

Kristi said...

Thanks for a laugh!

Michelle said...

Hey, I came back and there are words here now! What a great story Circ! I love the unicorn theory, I think it has real merit!