Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Before and After


This little Spicy Beast pesters the living daylights out of me with endless questions about what day it is and why it isn't her school day and why Freestone has school but she doesn't. I'm so thankful on Tuesday and Thursday that I have a better answer than, "No, today is not your school day." Xanthe lives for those few hours a week where she's out on her own. Monday, I got a call from Xanthe's teacher that she's been sick and several doctors have been unable to identify the problem. She cancelled preschool for the next week and a half. I pictured those days spread out in front of me like a vast, icy wasteland of uninterrupted badgering. This is the kid who runs to the glass door to throw a fit so she can kick the glass for maximum impact. She's not an easy-going child. I took one look at the Spicy Beast's crazy hair, runny nose and potential for massive tantrums and had a new preschool within an hour. Just as a precaution. So when Teacher Jen feels better, Xanthe will have two schools. That's enough for every day of the week! We'll never have to have the conversation about how everybody has school but Xanthe, followed by the falling on the floor kicking and whining routine. Can you even put a price on that?!

When I dropped Xanthe off at her first day of her new school today, there was another little girl screaming bloody murder as her mom bolted out the door. Xanthe hesitated, and I thought the jig was up. I pictured myself hauling Xanthe home for another round of tantrums about the number of eggs on her plate when Xanthe said, "See you next time, Mom."
Apparently she was as eager to get out of the house as I was to see her go! She loved it, and after school, she was a little ray of sunshine. When I gave her a snack, she said, "Thanks for giving me this lunch, Mom." Wow! Vast, icy wasteland crisis averted. And I'm in love again with the little Sun Beep.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh that face! And that my dear, is why you are one of the best moms I know! Enjoy your afternoons!

Sher said...

I think Xanthe and Peter would get along nicely, down to the tantrums and everything.
She also loves preschool. We make up for the days off by going to the gym and she gets to go to the gym daycare. She loves it.
My other preschooler actually goes 5 days a week and loves it. he actually hides from me when i come to pick him up because he doesn't want to come home.

Eliza2006 said...

Funny girl! I wouldn't exactly describe Eliza as easy going either!

Jennie said...

Oh yes! I love pre-k every day and so does Collin. I'm glad you had a back up plan. Oh how we love little X.

love.boxes said...

It's all about fairness... somthing kids have a gift for knowing about. If Freestone gets to go everyday.. then it's only fair if X does too! Good move! :)