Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Beginnings



This year will be one of church-related milestones in our family, with a baby blessing, a baptism, Xanthe entering Primary and Golda going into Young Women's. Tonight was New Beginnings, the event that introduces the new girls to the Young Women's program and gets all the Young Women thinking about the coming year. Each mom had the opportunity to introduce her daughter by bringing a light that represents her daughter. I chose a stage light for Golda and talked about how she loves to be in the spotlight onstage, but not so much in life. Golda won't demand your attention in conversation; she's quite reserved, and listens more than she talks. She'a a spiritual example to her family, and we love the light she brings to us.

Golda won't turn 12 until June, but I do feel the excitement and winds of change that things like a new school year and a new endeavor bring. Golda is ready to embrace whatever comes her way. The other side of the coin is my anxiety that our time to teach Golda and have her under our roof is so short. So much will happen during the next six years. Looking ahead, it seems like plenty of time, but once it's over, it will be gone and so will our daughter, on to college life on her own. Grandma Dopp taught Golda, Ruby and Lexie how to decorate cakes this past year. At their sleepover last night, they practiced their skills. Golda's cake turned out beautiful, illustrating to me that my girl has skills I didn't necessarily teach her, and she has potential I'm not responsible for unlocking. She'll find her own way, and it's my job to let her. There's still the vague fear, however, that there are things we should be teaching Golda and preparing her for that we're overlooking, and it seems like "too late" will come too soon.

My only solace is the fact that I still talk to (bother?) my parents daily, asking for help, using their stuff, showing up at their house and expecting them to drive my kids around. There's really no cutoff for moms and daughters. If I'm the kind of parent my parents and Scott's were, Golda and all the others will want to stick around in some way long after their 18th birthdays. Knowing that helps me enjoy the new milestones instead of fearing them. Big picture: this family is forever.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Golda, you did an amazing job on your cake. Rubes, yours was equally as fab. Lex let me peek at the pictures on her camera. G, I hope you had fun at New Beginnings. I'm so excited for you to go to camp. I think you are going to love it!

Michelle said...

Man, I feel old! I remember being at Sarah's wedding and Golda was just a few weeks old, you looked amazing as I recall. I can't believe almost 12 years are gone! I know what you mean, I really don't want to blow it with girls especially. But lucky Golda has a great mom and dad, she is going to be fine. I hope you are right and they do stick close. Although mine don't need to live with me like I am currently doing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture of Golda and her cake. You are right, the time with them is so short while they are growing up but family ties are forever!

love.boxes said...

Golda & ruby are simply the most elegant girls I know!