Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cupcake, Anyone?


Santa was good to us this year. He brought everything a child could dream of. He also brought a few things that are a parent's worst nightmare. Even Santa falls for the toys that turn out to be losers. We all had the Easy-Bake Oven, right? The toy that turned you into a pint-sized chef? I think my cake was still half raw when the light bulb burned out, that one time I played with it.

The new generation of Easy Bake Oven is the Cupcake Maker, which makes cupcakes to rival those sold on Madison Avenue. The first red flag when I opened the box was, "parental supervision required." I could have sent them outside alone for free, but OK, maybe the cupcake maker would facilitate quality time.

The most laughable part of the Cupcake Maker is that it makes one mini cupcake at a time. You mix a special packet and make one tiny cupcake in the microwave. Then you mix a tiny packet of frosting, put it into the cupcake maker and frost your cupcake. Except that the cupcake maker "rotates" the tiny cupcake as you frost it. In other words, the cupcake goes flying off the contraption and onto the floor at the exact moment the frosting comes oozing out of the tube. I got a knife and scraped the frosting off the toy and onto the cupcake. No harm done. Then we repeated the process two more times. Ari's friend, with her positive attitude, said, "They probably taste good!" After taking a bite, she said in an equally cheerful voice, "Actually, they don't taste really good!"

Ironically, I could have made a couple dozen mini cupcakes for under a dollar and in a fraction of the time it took to produce three pathetic, microwaved, frosting-gobbed monstrosities. Which makes sense. Cupcakes don't require technology. They require artistry, which all kids have in spades, even without the gadgets. Next time, I'll provide a knife and sprinkles.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I saw that toy, B wanted it, I just knew it was a bust! Sorry to be proven right. Guess they can't all be winners.

Jennie said...

I so glad you are back in blog land business. Oh how we've missed your stories. I hope you are loving your new computer. I didn't make it to the movie tonight. Perhaps another day the fates (sp) will align. I did get to tuck my children (who were still alive after a day like today) in to bed and give them kisses. I guess that beats out Tom Cruise and Valkyrie any day. See you soon.

Maria said...

Thanks for the consumer report! I will BEWARE of the cupcake maker!:)

Michelle said...

How about next Friday for you? Call you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning. Pretty funny!

Jenny said...

Santa REALLY wanted to bring one of those to our house, but maybe I am glad he didn't. Sometimes these toys just aren't what we think they will be. Kind of like the baby alive doll Neeley got a few years ago. As if I didn't already have enough diapers to change and babies to calm.

2kidmommy said...

Laughing out loud here in Tmeecula!! I've soooo wanted to get Abby an Easy-Bake Oven for the memories!! I guess I'll bake some cupcakes and let them go at it instead!

Kristi said...

I totally know! Kirsten got the cupcake maker for Christmas and it is terrible! The kids never end up eating them after the wasted time and mess it took us. Each time she has wanted to make them again I am always offering to make her a whole batch of mommy cupcakes instead.