Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Big Parade

Flowers for the River City girl.







Opening night has an energy all its own. Golda was nervous and excited for opening night of Music Man last night, and I was looking forward to seeing what she's been rehearsing for three times a week since the first of the year. I hadn't had so much as a peek at a costume. The truth is, although I was the one who gave Golda permission to do the play, my dad and Scott drove her to most of the rehearsals. Sorry, guys! And MANY thanks!

Music Man such a fun musical, made even more thrilling by Golda being onstage in all her glory. She had three costume changes and was involved in all the big musical numbers; 76 Trombones, Wells Fargo Wagon, Iowa Stubborn, Marian Librarian, Trouble...She even danced on a table in the library during "Marian."

Seeing Golda act is a trip because she is so different onstage than off. In real life, Golda's never the one demanding attention. Conversely, Araceli, ever the drama girl, says she will never, never be in a play because it's "too embarrassing!" I guess she expresses herself enough in real life. As Golda left the house, Ruby sang out, "Break a leg!" Then she added, "But don't rupture your Achilles tendon!" Ha ha.

When Golda was is her first play, I was resistant because the rehearsals and performances are so all-consuming and the hours are late and long. Now that I've embraced Golda's interest, I enjoy the late night drives and the rushing to performances with curlers and make-up flying around the car. Most of all, I love the end result. Sitting in the audience watching my daughter shine is about the most fun I can imagine. Theater people say it's an addictive lifestyle. Last night, one of the veterans told me, "Be careful. She'll get hooked." Too late for caveats, for better or for worse.

If anyone is interested in seeing a really fun production, call the box office at 393-0070. It runs every Friday, Saturday and Monday until Easter. If you need us between now and then, we'll be in River City!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That Golda is just so beautiful and wonderful! Sounds like such a great night!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Golda. That is wonderful she loves it so much. Sounds like a busy schedule until Easter! Em has a BAD cold or I would have called to see if Xanthe can play. Hopefully she will be over it soon:)

Taylor Family said...

Golda is a natural on stage I want to come and see it. I will call to get tickets. Love Xanthe's hair by the way and the post. We can still be friends because one day my friend came to pick up her little boy and he had fallen in a bucket of paint and was completly white when she got to my house.

Jennifer said...

Way to go, Golda!

Jennie said...

We can't wait to come and see her. Way to go G!

Emily said...

she looks like a porcelain doll, will she still hang out with us when she is famous?

love.boxes said...

River City is my favorite place.. especially when there's trouble!