Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Family Home Morning





Monday morning, there was a man in our front yard building a snowman in a blizzard. When I realized it was Scott, I hurried the kids out the door to help. I couldn't resist taking advantage of something that looked like "quality family time." Hey, if you can have morning sickness at night, you can have Family Home Evening in the morning. I called it Family Home Morning and checked "FHE" off my list. So by the time the kids left for school, we were already hours ahead of schedule, and had pictures to prove it!

That left me some free time to do things like, oh, lose Xanthe at the elementary school. Xanthe and I walked Freestone and Jakey into the school so I could talk to the office about getting Free's immunization record straight. Most of the parents did this before school started, but whatever. It's only February. The letter I got from the school last week said we had until February 10th to get that last shot before they kicked Freestone out. I'm motivated by deadlines more than by suggestions, so we got that done today.

Anyway, I apparently forgot all about Xanthe upon walking into the school. My best guess is that she walked to the kindergarten rooms with the boys, realized she was in the wrong place and started crying in the hall. As I was walking out of the school, a lunch lady from the neighborhood flagged me down. My plan was to wave and keep walking, not being in a social mood, but she ran after me. She asked, "Did you find your daughter?"

My first thought was that one of them forgot their lunch and had been trying to call me. I said, "Oh, was one of them looking for me?" She said, "Uh, your Chinese daughter? She was crying in the hall?" Then, and only then, did I remember that I had brought Xanthe into the school and hadn't seen her since. We found her with my next-door neighbor who teaches at the school. I made a valiant effort to convince the woman that I'm capable of taking care of all these kids, but, really, what was my defense? That I was just pretending to walk out of the school without my baby? Gee, it's a good thing we're having another one. You know, in case we lose some of the kids we already have. *sigh*

8 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh! I am still laughing out loud. Deadlines, suggestions, you know... your chinese daughter, checking FHE off the list. Oh, thanks for the laugh. If anyone can do six kids, it is you. You are a freaking saint when it comes to patience. Every day, Izzy wakes up and says, "I go to Hirce's (we're still working on the right sound) today?" No Iz, not today. :)

Jennifer said...

This was hilarious -- thanks for the pick-me-up. Proof positive of my long-maintained theory that we lose brain cells during pregnancy!

Michelle said...

Yep, I would blame that one on pregnant brain! Love family home morning!

Lisa and Tate said...

Yap... FHE in the morning definitly counts! Mark it off he list! Sorry you are having "morning" sickness at night.

Had a laugh over forgetting your kiddo.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny! Sounds like Xanthe was pretty independent and resourceful. There were 12 children in my family growing up. Leaving/losing a child was a common occurence. We used to count off but I'm not sure mom remembered the total count number anyway! Hope the morning sickness is over soon. Best wishes to Scott's sister and family with Heart to Heart! Nice FHM

Queen Elizabeth said...

So glad to hear that you're normal! ;)

Taylor Family said...

That is so funny. I remember the first time I forgot Austin. He was asleep in the car. I stopped got gas went in the gas station, got a drink, took my time then I got back home befor it even popped in my mind that he was in the car.

love.boxes said...

I had a few moments like that this week w/ not near your excuse + you got in a fhm & I didn't. Good you! :)