Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine-a-Rama


There was a time when my sole responsibility on Valentine's Day was to wait expectantly for flowers. That was it. This year, it's like this:

Help 5 kids assemble 125 valentines for classmates. Each kid must have a different theme. Freestone has to write his name on each valentine. Araceli has to write her friends' names. Ruby has to make a different style for the boys and the girls. Golda's teacher didn't give the class a list of names and she can't remember one.

Buy a dozen muffins for Ruby's class party and a dozen sugar cookies for Golda's. Send Scott to the store for more candy at the last minute.

Send $1.50 for Golda's pizza-costume-valentine party. Find mask and ball gown for costume contest and supplies for Valentine box decorating contest.

Valentines for 6 teachers and 4 visiting teaching ladies.

Take to school all the stuff that got left behind in the pink and red flurry of ribbon and candy this morning: Ari's homework and lunch, Golda's Valentine box and one lone valentine.

This mayhem is why I forgot that Valentine's day isn't until tomorrow. Last night, I got up in the middle of the night to sneak Scott's valentine out so he could find it in the morning. I was going to scatter mini Butterfingers all over, but he woke up wondering (in a cranky voice) what I was doing, so I left them in the package. This morning I realized it's not even Valentine's Day until tomorrow. I am so ahead of the game! Plus, that gives me time to drive the kids around and deliver valentines to their favorite friends and cousins, take the older girls out to a fancy dinner (probably Araceli's idea) and go with Scott to a church dance.
I thought Valentine's Day was a minor holiday. What has Hallmark done to us!? (Don't tell me I brought this on myself. La la la! I can't hear you! The timer for the cookies is going off.)

8 comments:

Alicia said...

What a nice mom! To you, I'm sure you are exhausted. But to me who isn't there yet, I can't wait. Every Valentine's day, I regret that I have no justification to buy Disney Valentine's and write kids' names on them. Valentine's, Easter, and Christmas are my favorite holidays and all of them are equally a big deal. Christmas ends up costing more because the presents cost more but the other two are just as much work and just as rewarding for me.

Michelle said...

Umm, I think my self inflicted madness is a result of wanting to be like Tif when I grow up! You win though, I can't imagine this times 5! Boy they had fun though! Oh, and that part about Scott really made me laugh!

Jennie said...

My sentiments exactly! You always do a great job of pulling everything together. Thanks for being such a great holiday / party example. Thanks again for Izzy today. She had a great time and it was so nice to be able to totally support Lex with out any toddler distractions. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Whew! You sound like you need a break. Hoping you have an enjoyable and relaxing actual Valentine's Day:)

Paige said...

I thought it was today too and so excited for it to be over. I remember when it used to be fun. At least I barely had to make dinner b/c they were so full from all the candy.

Paige said...

and the valentine costume would totally send me over the edge. Points for that.

SSWS said...

..and you had a smile on your face! Bravo! How do you keep it straight! At least you thought of Scott.....I still have a few hours.

love.boxes said...

... to "simplify" stinks & is no fun sooooo go you! :)

love you tons Circ! hope S gets better soon!