Monday, February 16, 2009

Star Athlete Out for Season



Araceli's picture for Hero Day at school in November

I took Scott to the surgical center this morning and got him all checked in and ready to have his leg sliced open. The anesthesiologist came in and asked, "So, did you just do this?"

Scott said, "Yeah, it seems like I was just here. I just had a vasectomy reversal last January." The doctor said, "OK...well, that's great, too. Um..."

I said, "I think he was asking if you just injured your leg."

And this was before they even administered any drugs. From that point, I think they worked quickly to get him under anesthetic before he divilged too much more personal information. As the nurse wheeled him back, he was disappointed they didn't take him in one of those little red wagons like they did for Ari when she had her tonsils out. Once he was knocked out, I went home. Bruce, Marlene and Jeremy waited for Scott at the hospital while I retrieved the kids from Coco's house, sent Golda to flute with my aunt Tricia, got everybody's practicing done and made a giant white ribbon for Golda's Music Man hair. Thanks to everybody who helped, the day went smoothly. We even had a delicious loaf of bread to eat from Michelle and are awaiting dinner from the Gus Dopps. If I had 6 or 7 assistants every day, my kids would get fed a lot more consistently, everyone would practice better and do more homework and the little ones would spend considerably less time in carseats. I've heard stories of couples on the Upper East Side who have a nanny for each child and a fleet of household helpers. What we have is better. We have friends. We have family. We are so grateful for all of you.

Now that Scott is home, I get the enviable job of gopher. Yesterday he asked for lemons and warm water to wash his hands. I got out of that request by telling him the lemon would hurt his paper cut. It's fun when your husband is delirious and incapcitated. At least I know he's not faking it. The surgeon said the tendon looked like it had exploded. Reattaching it was like putting two mops together, he said, but everything went well. The kids think it's pretty cool that the achilles is held together with heart muscle now. I always knew Scott had more heart than most. Now it's literal.

A situation like this brings into focus how valuable each family member is. With Scott laid up, we're down a driver, chef, errand runner, housekeeper and roughhouser. At least we still have our storyteller, TV buddy and delegator. Here's to a quick recovery for my star athlete.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I have been thinking of you guys all day! Does the star athelete like cinnamon rolls? Would Baked Alaska help? I have been trying to think of a goodie that wasn't sweet to bring you but can't think of one. What does that say about me? So glad it went well, I'm glad Scott officially has more heart. I agree he always has had more than your average guy. I am glad you have back-up too! I think friends and family are more fun than a nanny anyway!

Michelle said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention how cute Scott looks in a dress!

Jennie said...

I'm glad everything went well today. I hope the recovery is speedy, "for both your sakes." :) Oh, and I apologize for my healthy version of chicken pot pie. The crust was 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white. It is certainly more Marie Callenderish with a white flakey crust. Hopefully the corn bread made up for what ever the entree lacked. :) Love you guys!

Taylor Family said...

I got the update from Mom. I was just wondering if Scott still thought orange juice was as cool as it was when he got his wisdom teeth taken out. Plan on me delivering lunch tomorrow. I hope he feels better. Also I just looked at the blog with the new adopted baby. He is adorable I just can't wait for my baby!!!

Jennifer said...

Our family's best wishes for a quick recovery!

Oh, and what a trooper for letting you take a picture in the gown. (Or was he already loopy at that point?) :)

Michelle said...

I am going to mix up cinnamon rolls right now! I will call you tomorrow for a good delivery time.

Paige said...

That Dr. S. He's a superstar whether he's doctoring or not. Glad he's there to take care of your man.

love.boxes said...

Hope Scott recovers very soon!

Anonymous said...

We are also hoping for a quick recovery. If you want Xanthe & sibs to come and play we would love to have them here.