Thursday, March 4, 2010

Boo Hoo


Xanthe is recovering from a major disappointment. While I wasn't looking, she came up with a concoction she thought was going to be amazing...popsicles made of water, bananas, blueberries and Cheerios. She said, "It's going to be A-LISH-US!" All day long, before school, after school, before lunch, after lunch, before ballet, after ballet, on the way to Sam's Club, on the way home from Sam's Club, Xanthe was so excited. We even had to invite Esmae over to share in the special popsicle unveiling. When Xanthe finally tasted her creation, she looked puzzled and said, "It tastes like water." And with soggy Cheerios in it, too! Yummy! Life's tough, kid. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, frozen water tastes like...water.


The all-time best childhood disappointment, though, was the time Araceli did her own make-up. With her supreme confidence, she didn't even use a mirror to apply her mascara. When she went to the mirror afterward, expecting to see glamour, her delight turned to horror. Her expectations were truly dashed. I still laugh when I look at the picture of the result versus her expectations.

Some disappointments are funnier than others. If we could get inside kids' brains, I'm sure there would be ample fodder for humor. Another funny thing: yesterday, Xanthe wasn't sharing. I said, "Xanthe, can you share that phone with Esmae?"
She said, "No."
Thinking how defiant she can be, I said, "Why not?"
Xanthe replied, "Because that's not Esmae. That's Izzy." Yep. For once, Xanthe made perfect sense. Can't argue with a fact.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Thanks for letting Izzy come and play. She always says she has a great time.

Lexie said...

That pic of Ari is hiLArioUs!!!

Michelle said...

Oh, poor Xanthe! And Ari! My kids were laughing at poor Ari's picture. Xanthe's story reminds me of when I was little and my sister and I used to give cooking lessons with our lunches. We pretended we were on Zoom, remember that PBS show? Who knows, Xanthe probaby has a great cooking career ahead of her. Or she could be a unicorn locator.